Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard selection

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
October 11, 2012 12:34:35 PM

I built my pc several years ago and am in the process of upgrading it. I don't have the funds to do everything at once and am just trying to get some of the problems I have been having fixed. My hardrives have been unstable and am thinking that my motherboard is part of the problem. I ordered a new SSD and can not get pc to find it. I sent one back already thinking it was DOA but the replacement is not found either.

I use my pc mainly to draw with Chief Architect. Although most chief users put a lot into graphics for architectural renderings, I do not so my graphic card is not very high on my update list right now.

Original hardware:

EVGA nForce 680i MOBO
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 GHz cpu
WD 1500ADFD 150 GB 10,000 RPM hard drive (2)
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM
OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (added later)
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS Superclocked 320MB video card

I removing one of the hard drives and putting in a Crucial M4 128GB and a WD3000 300GB 10000 RPM hard drive.
My plan was to install windows 7 and chief on the SSD and let everything else go to the new WD3000.

Being I can not get MOBO to see the SSD and other stability issues, I thought about looking into upgrading MOBO. At this time I would like to keep from upgrading processor tho. I do not want to go back with an EVGA MOBO as I have had some issues with the company and am boycotting them :) 

Has been recommended going ASUS. All the numbers and specs are boggling my mind. What should I get for a MOBO? Can I get something that will run my current processor but if I feel like upgrading processor in 6 months it will work too?

I would appreciate if you could link to a specific MOBO on Newegg or similar site.

Thanks in advance!

More about : motherboard selection

!