Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Random blue screens

Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2011 12:58:17 PM

Ok so I built my computer in August and I occasionally get blue screens (maybe once every week or every two weeks).

All my drivers that im aware of are up to date. Iv done a memeroy test and a hard drive test and they tested fine.

My CPU is overclocked to 4.5 Ghz, but I have stress tested with prime and it was stable (tested for 10 hours or so)

I don't think its anything I have installed causing it as Iv tried system restores on 3 seperate occasions which hasn't fixed the problem

My PSU and HDD act funny sometimes maybe it could be one of them?.

My PSU makes a strange frequency buzzin type noise after my computer has shut down but goes away when my computer is turned on and also goes away when i turn the PSU off.

My OS in on my SSD and all I have on my HDD is my steam folder so I doubt its the HDD but it does make strange noises sometimes (like its loading or defragging etc) evan when my computer is shutting down or when my computer is doing anything which I find odd.

Any ideas what could be casuing it? I given as much info as I can give off the top of my head but if you need more info let me know :) 

Computer Spec:

CPU: i5 2500k oc @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro
Memory: 8GB 1600MHz G.Skills Ripjaws X
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 570
Solid State Drive: Crucial M4 128 GB
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
Power Supply: Corsair HX 750w
CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64bit

More about : random blue screens

September 24, 2011 1:08:16 PM

For some reason I cant edit my post so I'll put it here....

There doesn't seem to be a set time that it happens or a set thing that cause it (specific program etc) but it does mainly happen in the morning when I first turn it on but when I restart the computer it will start up fine and run perfectly untill the next morning that it happens.
m
l
September 24, 2011 2:25:26 PM

What is the exact model of your memory?

My first thought is, how can you say your overclock is stable if your getting constant blue screens??? I'd say that's unstable.

Does it get blue screens at stock speed?
m
l
Related resources
September 24, 2011 3:12:26 PM

The exact model is F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

I haven't tried it at stock speeds yet.

I understand what your saying about the overclock mate but Im not getting constant blue screens as such, only occasional cold start blue screens (once a week roughly) but once I've restaredt my computer after BSOD it boots up fine and runs perfectly.

My computer is running for around 10 hours a day 7 days a week at the moment and it dosent blue screen while its been used only during a cold boot. So if it is unstable I would of thought it would be happening a lot more often then it is.
m
l
September 24, 2011 3:19:57 PM

I don't understand why my computer BSOD on a cold boot thenis stable after a reboot like something is going wrong during the cold boot and a warm reboot solves that problem
m
l
September 24, 2011 3:23:58 PM

That PSU buzzing is not a good sign. It shouldn't be making that kind of noise unless it's from the fan in the PSU.

By any chance do you have a spare PSU to test out?

Have you set your RAM timings properly? You might want to check those out.

You may have a stable overclock, but what are your temperatures for your CPU?

I wouldn't rule out de-OC'ing your CPU a bit to test if it is more stable.

Have you checked your EVENT LOG around the times you blue screened? And can you see what it says on the blue screen?
m
l
September 24, 2011 3:28:56 PM

Seems to be a common problem with those asus boards:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS440US440&g...

Although I don't think it's a memory issue cause it's only at cold boot, but you can check make sure your memory is set correctly in bios. 1600mhz/8-8-8-24/1.5v

The first thing you do when your having problems with an overclocked machine is to remove the overclock and see if you still have the same issue.
m
l
September 24, 2011 4:00:48 PM

geekapproved said:
Seems to be a common problem with those asus boards:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS440US440&g...

Although I don't think it's a memory issue cause it's only at cold boot, but you can check make sure your memory is set correctly in bios. 1600mhz/8-8-8-24/1.5v

The first thing you do when your having problems with an overclocked machine is to remove the overclock and see if you still have the same issue.

My memory is set as 1600Mhz/8 8 8 24 and 1.5v

Interesting link, thanks. Does seem very similar.
m
l
September 24, 2011 4:05:15 PM

Chainzsaw said:
That PSU buzzing is not a good sign. It shouldn't be making that kind of noise unless it's from the fan in the PSU.

By any chance do you have a spare PSU to test out?

Have you set your RAM timings properly? You might want to check those out.

You may have a stable overclock, but what are your temperatures for your CPU?

I wouldn't rule out de-OC'ing your CPU a bit to test if it is more stable.

Have you checked your EVENT LOG around the times you blue screened? And can you see what it says on the blue screen?

No unfortunately I don't. How serious is the buzzing? Should I be thinking about RMA?

Just checked my RAM settings and all the settings are correct.

My temps are around 30c to 35c @ idle, between 40c and 55c while gaming (depending how CPU demanding the game is) and around 65c during prime testing.
m
l

Best solution

September 24, 2011 5:53:04 PM

Can't hurt to try, but first I would see if you have the issue at stock cpu speeds.

If you do, THEN try the suggested fix. Then if it's fixed at that point, you can then go about overclocking.

Personally, I don't see any reason why your overclocking your cpu at all with a single GTX570. I mean even if you had 2- GTX570, your cpu at stock speeds would keep up just fine. Your just wasting electricity, and raising the temp of your components which in turn reduces their life.
November 12, 2011 5:28:28 AM

Best answer selected by Proximon.
m
l
!