Sign in with
Your question

Three-beep POST error with new RAM/new GPU [ASUS P8P67LE]

Last response: in Motherboards
October 11, 2012 3:36:25 PM

So, about a month ago (after shipping my PC cross-country), my PC began failing to POST, giving me en error of 1,3. People I've asked so far have been conflicted about whether this means a VGA issue or a memory issue on this board, but at this point I've bought new RAM and RMA'd my GPU, so it seems neither parts are at fault. It could be my PSU, but I've tried multiple 6-pin connectors in my GPU with the same result.

So, has my board gone bad? I'd really like to get this fixed.

Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit
ASUS P8P67LE board
EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB
CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1600C9
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 5:31:05 PM

Every time you have some issue like this, the best thing to do is break it down to just the bare minimum you need for POST. Then assuming you get it to POST successfully, add in parts one at a time, testing each one individually, until either you find the problem or everything works again.
m
l
October 11, 2012 6:07:04 PM

Would I leave the board in the case for that, or are you telling me I should breadboard it?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2012 9:15:17 PM

Sibilantjoe said:
Would I leave the board in the case for that, or are you telling me I should breadboard it?

If you have reason to suspect some kind of grounding issue with the case, then by all means pull it out, otherwise you can leave it in the case.
m
l
October 13, 2012 7:59:34 PM

cl-scott said:
If you have reason to suspect some kind of grounding issue with the case, then by all means pull it out, otherwise you can leave it in the case.

Hey, just letting you know that I ran the board out of my case with only the essentials attached, and got the same error. However, removing the SATA connectors allowed me to use the 2nd PCI-E slot without obstruction. I did so, and the board POSTed successfully! I submitted an RMA request for the board today. Thanks for your help!
m
l
!