Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Windows XP
  • Computer
  • Dual Boot
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 24, 2011 3:30:03 PM

I am not very tech savy, but i want to have a dual boot with xp and 7, i found a website that said to shrink the drive and give it a letter etc, and i did that, however i don't know how much space to allocate for xp. I chose 10. when i put my xp disc in after about 5 seconds i got a blue screen that said windows shut down to prevent damage being done to my computer, can you please help me with this. In easy terms please, lol

More about : installing win7 computer

Best solution

September 25, 2011 12:00:56 AM

Win XP was made long before your current hardware. Win Xp does not know how to use your current hardware, so win XP said "I don't know how to safely do anything so I give up".

Training XP to work with your hardware: Device drivers tell windows how to use your hardware. For example, most win7 PCs come with SATA hard drives. But win XP does not include SATA drivers until WinXP service pack3. So you will need to install sata drivers if your copy of XP is not already at service pact 3.

Not knowing what hardware you are running I can't guess at what drivers you will need. If you are running a modern CPU then you probably need chipset drivers, sound driver, usb drivers, etc.

Can you say why you want XP to run on your win7 system?

If it's just to have, that's cool.

If it's to run programs there are a lot of compatibility settings in win7b that let old programs run. There is also a special winxp mode in win 7 "You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode. To upgrade visit Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade. " http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.as...
September 27, 2011 10:02:46 AM

+1^ TS is correct probably the controller on the SATA drive loading up AHCI controller is giving the issue, also what do you mean by shrinking the volume? as when XP installs it adjust the partition to what it requires.
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2011 10:17:08 AM

thanks so much for the answers. Program compatibility is the reason i want to install xp. I have went to the place on my computer that allows me to run programs in older versions, but it doesn't work on Paint shop pro. My PSP works fine, but most of the filters or plug ins don't work in the newer versions of psp. Same with my fav font program, and a program to convert mp3 to wav and compress them smaller in size in order to play them in the email program that i use. I don't have Professional or Ultimate, i do have 64 bit on my pc. i have a few freinds that have win7 32 bit, and they don't have these problems.
m
l
October 2, 2011 10:17:23 AM

Best answer selected by downtown3.
m
l
!