Best graphics card for my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leetbeast

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
System specs: Intel Core i3-550 3.2GHz, 4GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Radeon HD 5750

i have a 480 watt psu ( generic) and i am looking for a new video card. I know i should upgrade my psu but at
moment i cant. What would be the best possible video card for my system without putting it in danger.

Solution
That PSU sounds like a Logitech or Diablotek, neither of which is good for much more than 50%-60% of what's on its label. It might support a HD5770, but that is an insignificant upgrade over what you have now. Anything more demanding will probably smoke the PSU, likely killing other parts too. Save your money until you can replace that PSU. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Did the PSU come with an OEM setup? I'd have to know more about it to know what it could actually handle. For example, a high quality 480w PSU (one that could actually put out 480w with full +12v amperage) could power your setup plus a GTX 580, but a generic will come nowhere close. Any identifying markings that would set it apart?

rockyjohn

Distinguished
You can find some help on getting relevant details off the power supply at this site (about half-way down the page:

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/criteria.html

Depending on how the PSU is mounted, the label might be turned away from view and require taking it out to see the label.

Alternatively, did the ordering information list the make and model of the PSU?

By the way, I could not find any details at iBuyPower and the listing on newegg for that computer, using that exact model number - 918i - shows it with an HD 5450 video card. Are you sure you have the HD 5750? Although they sell a lot direct online and might allow some part substitutions within the same model number, something the large manufacturers normally do not do.

What is your budget for the GPU upgrade?

I'd say the best graphics card you can put in your system without having to upgrade the PSU would be the 6850.Anything higher than a 6850 will require you to upgrade the PSU and O.C. the CPU to lessen the bottleneck.But the 6850 isn't a huge jump up from the 5750 so I would suggest waiting until you have enough money for both a new faster card and a PSU.

What resoultion is your monitor?

leetbeast

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
bf3 , the witcher 2 , saints row the third just normal games i guess.
i dont really know my budget since i know that i am not going to be able to spend alot of money with the psu i have. which i cant upgrade since my parents wont let me ( i know its lame )

That PSU sounds like a Logitech or Diablotek, neither of which is good for much more than 50%-60% of what's on its label. It might support a HD5770, but that is an insignificant upgrade over what you have now. Anything more demanding will probably smoke the PSU, likely killing other parts too. Save your money until you can replace that PSU. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.

Solution
^ I agree.

As I was saying before to make it seem like a worthwhile upgrade from a 5750 would require at least a $200 card or more.And all of those cards in that price range require a lot more power than your PSU can safely deliver.

If you can tell us your budget then maybe we can somehow work a PSU into the equasion.I know of some really good Antec PSU's that are only $40 or less.

If your parents are concerned about replacing a PSU, it is one of the easiest things to replace since the cables only connect one way, and there are no drivers to load. You won't be exposed to any dangerous voltages. If, OTOH, it is because they are unwilling to pay for it, then you need to find a way to earn the money yourself (a good thing to get used to anyway). If they won't allow it because it's their PC and they just don't want to mess with it, then you can either turn down a few settings and enjoy your gameplay, or you can earn the money to build your own PC; since you'll need all the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers) and the OS, expect to spend around $700 - $750.

So whats your plan then?

You haven't really told us much other then that you don't have enough money to buy a new PSU.We are telling you that you need to buy a new PSU or else it would be a waste of money to buy another GPU that will work with your PSU.As I said before the best you can get would probably be a 6770 or a 6850.But that seems like a waste of money because it's not a huge improvement over the 5750.

But all of that is irrelavant because you haven't even told us your budget yet,lol.

leetbeast

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
no i was talking about the job and ps3 comment lol i have the money for a new psu its just that my parents thinks its a waste of money to spend more money on the computer than it was originally worth worth (650 $) i strongly disagree with them but i just cant convince them to let me put more money into my rig :pfff:

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Ok so these are your two options:

Upgrade your rig now and don't spend too much money on upgrading it

OR

Buy and build a completely new rig because obviously you are not happy with its performance as it is now.

... spend about $200-$300 upgrading or $700 on a new system. Their call lol

Okay, cutting to the chase, the following upgrade would address both the video card (a 3-tier improvement) and the PSU:

SAPPHIRE 100314-2SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102913 - $180, or $160 if you play the rebate game and win.
Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044 - $60 with free shipping.

Was that a troll post? That card is way out of his budget. To "recommend" such a card indicates a base ignorance of the situation.

The EA-650 is a little bigger than necessary, meaning it will last a very long time, including through any reasonably likely future upgrades. For the price, it is very hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS