Should I read CPU Temperature (TMPIN0) or Core Temperature (Core#)

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
So the question is, determining my CPU temperature comparing it to the AMD maximum safe temperature specifications, should i be investigating the CPU temperature or core temperature in HWMonitor? HWMonitor shows different readings for CPU and Core temps, with CPU idling 44 degrees celcius, and core temp idling around 35 degrees celcius. AMD says maximum safe operating temperature for the Phenom ii 720 is 73 degrees, does that suggest that my core temperature is fine, as long as it doesn't reach near 60-70? My TMPIN0 temperature reads near 60 at CPU load, but the core temps are bellow 50, what are the supposedly maximum TMPIN0 temps (i think it is the measurement of the top of the metal protector of the processor)?

Yes. 40-60c is a good normal range of temps. Nothing to worry about. You can use either temp reading. Just understand there's a little variance between the two, and not all monitor programs are 100 percent accurate.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
but i don't understand; as in should i be looking at the core temperatures rather than the cpu temperatures when comparing it to the maximum suggested 73 degrees celcius limit?

I use coretemp for my monitoring, which measures just the core. But the difference isn't that great. You shouldn't get above 65c with either measurement. cpus are tough. I got an i5 750 Intel up to 90c briefly to see if it posts; still worked fine.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
looking at other peoples examples, their cpu temperature is lower than the core temperature, and i read that the cpu temperature is the temperature on the top of the processor, the metal cover protecting it. All other hardware monitoring programs give the same reading as HWMonitor, should i really exclude the CPU temperature reading as it doesn't appear valid?

Go by the bios if you're unsure. You'll get a pretty good reading sample by rebooting and entering the bios going directly to the hardware monitor section for a quick look. You are no where near the danger zone. Relax.