Sign in with
Your question

PLEASE HELP IM NEW!

Last response: in CPUs
December 26, 2011 1:05:03 PM

Hey there! Im building my first 'rig' and am using a sabertooth 990fx motherboard with fx 8120 cpu but for them to work the bios needs to be updated! Flash booting isnt possible and I dont really want to send it back to ASUS to update it as by the time ive done it I ccould ust get another CPU to update it. Heres what I was wondering;
Can I Update the BIOS via a CD in the disk drive?
Can anybody tell me the cheapest CPU I can use to update the bios?

More about : question

December 26, 2011 1:07:42 PM

Welcome to the forum, can we get your full specs please. Does it all post and can you get into the bios?
December 26, 2011 1:18:28 PM

Ok so being new ill try my best :L
- Cm scout case
-700w Coolmaster silent pro
-1600 ddr3 Ripjaw
-Sabertooth 990 fx
-FX 8120 AMD CPU With stock fan
-Basic/Standard CD/DVD RW Drive
- windows OeM 7 64 - bit
-Kingston SSD 128GB With a 1tb arriving soon (HDD)

oh and my old saphire RAdeon 1GB 5670

And no I cant get onto the bios as nothing comes up on the screen, ive read that although one of the sdelling points of the motherboard is that it works with the CPU it needs a bios update first. and it needs the CPU to get onto the bios :/  :/ 

Thankyou :) 
Related resources
December 26, 2011 3:35:51 PM

amdfangirl said:
I guess you will need an older CPU to flash it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Something cheap like that.

Hmm I was thinking I may have to, after looking at the compatible list and getting some Amazon voucher for christmas I think ill get the Sempron for £30 then either sell it on ebay or have as a spare etc. Thanks btw
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2011 3:41:05 PM

You might be able to return it if the store has a no-questions-asked return policy.
December 26, 2011 3:47:42 PM

amdfangirl said:
You might be able to return it if the store has a no-questions-asked return policy.

hmmm true , would i be able to use the same cpu fan do you know? oh and its amazon so :/  and i might have to use the fan and thermal paste etc
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2011 3:52:41 PM

It will definately fit onto the CPU. Thermal paste should be used as per one CPU. Changed whenever you change the CPU.
December 26, 2011 3:59:14 PM

amdfangirl said:
It will definately fit onto the CPU. Thermal paste should be used as per one CPU. Changed whenever you change the CPU.

Thanks thats very helpful! If the CD bootable option of the bios isnt available then This is what ill do! Thankyou :D 
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2011 4:03:35 PM

I doubt it will be. The motherboard needs an old CPU to teach it how to use the new CPU. If it does not know how to use the new CPU, how will it teach itself how to use the new CPU with the new CPU?

(Simplified explanation)
December 26, 2011 4:19:46 PM

amdfangirl said:
I doubt it will be. The motherboard needs an old CPU to teach it how to use the new CPU. If it does not know how to use the new CPU, how will it teach itself how to use the new CPU with the new CPU?

(Simplified explanation)

I see, makes sence when you put it like that :L

Thanks a Bunch!
!