SLI Question

hobbes87

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
So I'm thinking of building my own gaming rig within the next few months hopefully, and had a few questions about SLI. I'm not sure how correct I am with this information, but a few years ago, didn't SLI only really start to matter when you had a 1920x1080 resolution or higher monitor? I thought I heard reports of there not being too much of a performance gain when utilizing SLI. Is that the case now, or are single high-end video cards more than capable of handling HD resolutions at max settings?

I'm running two GTX 275s SLI right now with a 23'' monitor. Just not sure how viable SLI is right now. Is it more so than it was a few years ago?

4745454b

Titan
If you already have two GTX275, you'll need a BIG card to see a bump. The GTX275/280 has a similar performance to the GTX460. Because you already have SLI, you need a GTX570 or so to see a performance increase. These cards are NOT around $200. (unless you play games that have poor SLI scaling.) I suggest holding off until you can get more money, or perhaps get 2 more monitors so you can setup Nvidia's Eyefinity. Tri (or Pent?) screen gaming is where it will be at soon.

starravier

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I didnt suggest the 6790 from personal experience...bought one, it was dead(just my luck), Exchanged it for another and had serious heating issues.
Also if you have sli GTX 275, u might as well stay with them. Instead of switching to a single 6790.

I agree with StarRavier. Stick with what you have.

An upgrade is not in your budget. Save your cash and get something at a later date.

running high resolution and physics games and applications will require you to have one of these babies GTX 570 or HD 6970, also a CF or SLI of these cards will be great for such resolution and DX11 games the HD 6k series and GTX 5K series have a noticeable improvement in CF or SLI scaling

SLi has been viable since 2004 IMHO and it just gets better from what I'm seeing.

I'd go so far as to say that every major release for the last seven years or so has supported SLi because that's how long I've been running SLi rigs and that's what I've seen.