cfisher2833

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Hi everyone,

So I recently bought a new CPU (AMD Phenom ii X4 960T) to replace my old Phenom ii x4 820. I am using a Gateway 4300 with an RS780 motherboard that supposedly supports all AM3 Phenom IIs with 95w. When I replaced the new CPU , the system booted (is this a sign that my mobo at least recognizes the CPU?) but the boot process is halted by an error message. It says there is a CPU mismatch--system halted. Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
It might not support turbo (indicated by T). The 960T is a OEM CPU based off a Phenom II X6 die. Perhaps it meant all Phenom II chips at the time? All X6 based chips need a BIOS update.

I would try to update the BIOS and if it still doesn't work, return it. The 820 isn't that bad.

cfisher2833

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Even though it's a quad core, it still has a 6core architecture and I know the mobo doesn't support 6cores and Gateway has refused to release a BIOS update allowing it to do so. The thing that threw me is that the computer booted to begin with. I thought if there was a CPU incompatibility issue, the thing wouldn't even turn on.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Just to see what would happen I put a AM3 Sempron into an AM2-only motherboard and it wouldn't even post. That's what I expect to happen to yours...

Perhaps it is because the motherboard does support the Phenom II arch, just not the specific CPU. Oh well. The Phenom II X4 820 is a fine CPU, I'm sure you'll be able to live with it. If it does not support the 6 core chips, I doubt it will support a 6-core chip with 2 cores disabled.