Sign in with
Your question

Can mATX mobos be legit gaming boards?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 12, 2012 1:35:54 AM

Hi there,

Planning for my new rig! I'm trying to be a little more price conscious because I will also need an OS and a new monitor. So, as part of this 'budgeting' I've been looking at mATX boards.

Mostly my new computer will be for gaming. I also want to tinker and tweak, experiment with OCing CPU and RAM. I plan on using i5 3570k. mATX would serve me well because I really don't plan on using more than 1 GPU. I'm also trying to be conscious about physical space as I am somewhat limited by that.

Can mATX pull their own weight in OCing? Can they handle the same duties as their ATX brothers? Will a GTX670, or the like, be too much? At first I had my eye on the ASUS MAXIMUS GENE. But at $200 that kinda goes against my logic for going with a more economically priced mobo. Are all those ROG bells and whistles worth it?

As an example I've narrowed down to two boards:

ASUS P8Z77-M PRO

vs.

ASRock z77 Pro4-M

This is pretty much where I'm at right now. Overall this has been one great research project!
October 12, 2012 1:56:25 AM

first ? YES the rog gene is a MONSTER!!! and the audio is top shelf!!! i got one for my lil bro, and he loves it....sounds great w/ his astro a40's.... and yes they can clock....right now it has a 2500k@4.8GHz
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:16:13 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm not all that concerned about audio as I plan to play with headphones. Can other mATX boards clock with the same monstrous capability as the GENE? Does the superb audio justify an almost $80 difference in price?
m
l
Related resources
October 12, 2012 3:00:27 AM

If you - or anyone else who may feel so moved - would indulge my ignorance and elaborate a little more on what is meant by "run of the mill.....no".

How does the GENE outperform other economic mATX boards? Is there more to operation than what the specs say?

Not trying to be difficult - just want to make informed, educated decisions.

Thanks!
m
l
October 12, 2012 4:55:11 AM

You don't need expensive headphones, I personally used the Astro A40's once, they are no better than any other gaming headphones I have tried, even I prefer my Siberia v2's over them.
m
l
October 12, 2012 2:58:17 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm not all that concerned about audio as I plan to play with headphones. Can other mATX boards clock with the same monstrous capability as the GENE? Does the superb audio justify an almost $80 difference in price?

If you - or anyone else who may feel so moved - would indulge my ignorance and elaborate a little more on what is meant by "run of the mill.....no".

How does the GENE outperform other economic mATX boards? Is there more to operation than what the specs say?

Not trying to be difficult - just want to make informed, educated decisions.

Thanks!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2012 3:30:01 PM

just remember to get low profile memory, the video card and ram have clearance problems on micro atx, choose a heat sink (if you go after market) that will clear the chipset.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2012 3:36:43 PM

A recent benchmark for sub $160 mobo's
m
l
!