Sounds on my system

Years ago I downloaded some free little sound package
which causes funny sounds to spontaneously occur. Doors
creek, phones ring, cats screech, etc. I'm tired of it
(especially when the volume needs to be loud to hear a
DVD) but I don't know what it's called, where it resides,
or how to get rid of it. I changed my Desktop themes,
but didn't see a separate area for sounds. I changed
to "no sounds" under sound and audio. I can't find
anything in Startup and a Search for .WAV files didn't
turn up anything I recognize. Can anyone help?

Savanah--

Go to

Restore System Default Sounds (Line 6)

Fix the Ding.wav File (Line 6)

This is from Kelly's Site:

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

I also think you could fix it by going to the Control Panel>Sounds and
Devices Properties or get there by popping
control mmsys.cpl,,1 into your run box to get there and highlight Windows
and type in No Sounds and the date and save.

Chad Harris

Savannah wrote:
> Years ago I downloaded some free little sound package
> which causes funny sounds to spontaneously occur. Doors
> creek, phones ring, cats screech, etc. I'm tired of it
> (especially when the volume needs to be loud to hear a
> DVD) but I don't know what it's called, where it resides,
> or how to get rid of it. I changed my Desktop themes,
> but didn't see a separate area for sounds. I changed
> to "no sounds" under sound and audio. I can't find
> anything in Startup and a Search for .WAV files didn't
> turn up anything I recognize. Can anyone help?

Savannah

If this is a separate program, it may not be associated with the XP sound
schemes and the sounds may be a file type other than .wav.

First go to Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs to see if the program is
listed. If so, remove it there.

Try pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL once to bring up the Task Manager. Click the
Applications Tab and take a look at the running programs to see if the
program is listed there. Then click the Processes Tab to see if one of the
files there ring a bell to prompt your memory of the programs name.

If you find anything there, go to Start/Search and search the hard drive for
the file. This will locate the folder where it resides. Look for an
uninstall file in that folder.

If no joy, go to Start/Run and type msconfig and press OK. Click the
Start Up Tab and see if any of the programs there look like this
application. If it is there, remove the check mark from that entry.

Post back to this thread with your findings.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org