Will Steam and Origin work after switching to Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayden1911

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hey!
Let me explain my situation:
I have 2 hard drives in my new computer. One is a new 120GB SSD, the other is a 120GB HDD from a laptop. The OS on the laptop drive is Windows XP. I know that I can't move the OS files from the HDD to the SSD, so I was just going to get Windows 7 and then wipe the laptop hard drive.

1) If I install Steam and Origin on the SSD (with some games on each) will I be able to install Windows 7 on the SSD and have Steam and Origin and their corresponding games still work?

2) Will I need do anything special to install 7 because I have two drives? Just to be safe, I was going to just unplug the laptop drive just to be safe.

3) Right now when I turn it on, start XP, and go into "Computer", it only recognizes my old laptop drive, some HP recover (D) with 200mb out of 9.29 GB, but not my new SSD. I know that my computer recognizes it because I can select it from the boot-up drives.

If you need any information about any of the parts, I can send you a link to their page.

Thanks!
--Hayden

Solution
1) Yes, this should work, and give your games the benefit's of SSD speeds at the same time.

2) Windows 7 is very easy to install, just to be safe, unplug the laptop HDD.

3) This may be due to driver support with XP, when you install Windows 7, you should be able to use the drive normally.

I hope this covers everything.

Have a great Christmas.

warhead0

Distinguished
1) Yes, this should work, and give your games the benefit's of SSD speeds at the same time.

2) Windows 7 is very easy to install, just to be safe, unplug the laptop HDD.

3) This may be due to driver support with XP, when you install Windows 7, you should be able to use the drive normally.

I hope this covers everything.

Have a great Christmas.

Solution

hayden1911

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011

Thanks for all the info! I understand everything now except for the problem with the SSD not being recognized in XP. I started a new thread in Hard Drives for this though:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277706-32-recognized#t1893602

Thanks!
--Hayden

Status
Not open for further replies.