Sign in with
Your question

MSI Z77MA-G45 even good for gaming?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 12, 2012 1:37:04 AM

is this good? i don't really know alot about MSI boards. its also a micro atx.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

it comes in this combo deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

everything looks good except that board
October 12, 2012 1:53:07 AM

good for games..... absolutely

could you do better....prolly...

really the only thing id upgrade is the psu...but its a combo deal.....
October 12, 2012 2:02:22 AM

You could do better with a mere $600 budget if you build a home-made computer.
Related resources
October 12, 2012 2:09:12 AM

not with a 660ti+3570i5

thats almost your 600 right there
October 12, 2012 2:10:22 AM

badtaylorx said:
not with a 660ti+3570i5

thats almost your 600 right there

It doesn't need to be those specific components, I was speaking in terms of gaming performance and value.
October 12, 2012 2:13:34 AM

gaming will be great on this combo

that board has a REALLY aggressive Turbo profile that will greatly outperform a stock chip.....if you're not yet confident in overclocking its a great way to squeeze extra performance out with no effort

and the 660ti is a REALLY REALLY good card...smooth gaming all day long...

its a good deal if you can deal with the ugly case :pt1cable: 
October 12, 2012 2:20:25 AM

badtaylorx said:
gaming will be great on this combo

that board has a REALLY aggressive Turbo profile that will greatly outperform a stock chip.....if you're not yet confident in overclocking its a great way to squeeze extra performance out with no effort

and the 660ti is a REALLY REALLY good card...smooth gaming all day long...

its a good deal if you can deal with the ugly case :pt1cable: 

It's not a bad deal for a prebuit, but compared to a proper homebuilt, it's a very bad deal.

The 660 Ti most certainly isn't so great. The card isn't very bad, but it has poor scaling with higher workloads and poor overclcokign thanks to its memory bandwidth and its price is too high to justify that. The 660 (non-Ti) performs rather similarly for 25-35% less cash and lower power consumption. The Radeon 7870 also trades blows with it for a similar price range to the 660 and the 7950 is the superior card to the 660 Ti despite a similar price. The 660 and the 670 are much better for what they are than the 660 Ti, especially cheaper 670s that can inch towards $340 to $360.
October 12, 2012 2:24:41 AM

no.....he is dead wrong.....

a....it is a home build combo....

b.....the price is very good...just wish you could knock off the optical drive

ahhhhh i see.....pushing amd....

fine find a combo with the 7950....same thing......

avoid listening to ppl that try to push "their fav brand"
October 12, 2012 2:33:21 AM

badtaylorx said:
no.....he is dead wrong.....

a....it is a home build combo....

b.....the price is very good...just wish you could knock off the optical drive

ahhhhh i see.....pushing amd....

fine find a combo with the 7950....same thing......

avoid listening to ppl that try to push "their fav brand"

The 7950 is a superior card, as is the 670. The 7870 and the 660 are similarly performing cards that are much cheaper. I wasn't pushing AMD, I was explaining how the 660 Ti is overpriced compared to both AMD and Nvidia cards.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k4AF
Better build, about the same price. Faster CPU for overclocking and faster graphics at stock and especially with overclocking.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k4C9
Similarly performing and cheaper.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k4Cq
Cheaper and better performing with overclocking, although not to such an extent as the first build.

I could do even better if I went for some Newegg deals and combos.
October 12, 2012 2:37:15 AM

no point in getting a z77 motherboard if you're not getting an ivb 3xxx processor...

upgrade the cpu and you gotyourself a good combo
October 12, 2012 2:43:09 AM

luciferano said:
You could do better with a mere $600 budget if you build a home-made computer.

Technically, that is a "home-made computer" all the parts just come in some super saving deal. A $600 pc couldnt beat it in performance, but maybe on performance vs price ratio, but not really. The combo deal is roughly about right for the price. Here is a quick mock up of roughly the same pc for about the same price http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k4DP

Truth be told about motherboards is they all have about the same performance, what you are paying for is the quality and features.
October 12, 2012 2:47:28 AM

Delirious788 said:
Technically, that is a "home-made computer" all the parts just come in some super saving deal. A $600 pc couldnt beat it in performance, but maybe on performance vs price ratio, but not really. The combo deal is roughly about right for the price. Here is a quick mock up of roughly the same pc for about the same price http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k4DP

Truth be told about motherboards is they all have about the same performance, what you are paying for is the quality and features.

I've already demonstrated that you can do better with that budget and even with less money. I'll concede to both of you that it is technically a home-built computer, but its parts were not optimally chosen. It's not bad, but it's not very good nor is it really close.

badtaylorx said:
no point in getting a z77 motherboard if you're not getting an ivb 3xxx processor...

upgrade the cpu and you gotyourself a good combo

The point is the newer board. The i5-2500K is easily traded for an i5-3570K for another $20 anyway and even then, the i5-3550 is $35 less and can get very close in performance to the 3570K and the 2500K.

Furthermore, in terms of performance, the i5-2500K is generally superior to the i5-3xxx CPUs, even if only slightly when compared to the 3570K and at the cost of a little extra power consumption.
October 12, 2012 2:59:37 AM

can all the usb 2.0 and 3.0 from the case fit on the mobo?
October 12, 2012 3:05:11 AM

examplehi said:

Yes from what I looked at and read, i believe so
October 12, 2012 3:05:38 AM

examplehi said:

Both my mobo recommendation and the mobo in your combo deal can handle each cases' USB ports.
October 12, 2012 3:19:07 AM

I would get the deal. Dont think too much into it, like we are. Honestly, it is a solid build. The only improvement is getting a 7950 for about the same price as the 660Ti and getting a few more fps out of it. The big thing the 7950 helps for is huge resolutions, like 27in monitors and 2+ monitors.
October 12, 2012 3:30:06 AM

Ok my maximum resolution is 1280x1024. which lowest priced gpu can i get to play like BF3 or MOH WF at like 50-60 fps at maxiumum settings? not to mention i only have dvi and vga ports
October 12, 2012 3:38:33 AM

A Radeon 7770 would be plenty for you. A 7950 would be good in that it could run with more MSAA even with maxed out texture quality to offset the jaggies that are inherent with such a low resolution and it would be much better if you ever upgrade to a 1080p display, but it is more than enough for you if you don't mind playing with a lower picture quality.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-112010...

This is the fastest Radeon 7770. It beats the 650 Ti (not greatly so, but still) in high detail and MSAA performance despite being cheaper. It only costs $131.97 after MIR.
October 13, 2012 7:11:29 PM

you allways troll waaaaaaay off topic

the question was is this deal acceptable....and the answer is a big fat YES.....it's all good parts that will service you for years to come...and at a savings of 80$ over individual purchases....

the question was NOT which will get me 3 more fps in this situation according to someone who reads too many articles and owns nothing.....

this devil is trying to trick you out of your soul examplehi
October 14, 2012 10:09:15 PM

Anyone whom is too lazy to tell someone that it's not ideal is wrong. I am not getting off topic at all. OP wants to know what is best and I answered that OP's current choice is not best and gave superior recommendations.

Whether or not something is acceptable is extremely subjective, so the answer is not yes. Beyond that, whether or not something is acceptable is far less important than whether or not it is ideal. That deal was not ideal, plain and simple.
October 16, 2012 8:39:02 PM

this is why nobody takes you seriously, lucy.....

notice the op stopped responding.........

your arguing is turning potential pc fans away.....
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 5:49:34 AM

luciferano said what should be said. If you can't take that, then you shouldn't be on such a site as this where you'd be recommending that forum goers waste their money.
October 17, 2012 2:26:03 PM

yeah...ok....

did you read the op???

this site is about ANSWERING questions....not pushing agendas....

if you're serious, i doubt you've read many of his past posts......
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 2:28:36 PM

That I did. Telling OP that it's not a bad deal, but there are better alternatives is the best answer to OP's question, especially when some of those better alternatives are mentioned. Simply telling OP that OP should buy a mediocre deal rather than a superior alternative is telling OP that OP should waste his/her money and that should be unacceptable on a forum where someone comes for optimal help. If I asked if paying $15,000 for car A is a good deal when a better car, car B, is available for $13,000 and an even better car, car C, is available for $15,000 and I'm advised that I should get car A instead of this car B, whoever is giving the advice has clearly not given the best advice.
October 17, 2012 2:36:19 PM

sorry blaze......

660ti aint as bad as he makes it out to be.....

especially at that price..... and recommending the drop to a gk 106??? from a gk 104 even @ the lesser bandwidth...which at his res means NOTHING.....is not in the ops best intrest...its in lucys.....

and there is a BIG dif... between $75 and $2000

and btw....car A had a bigger engine. better gas milage and was 2years newer....buy car a
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 2:48:46 PM

badtaylorx said:
sorry blaze......

660ti aint as bad as he makes it out to be.....

especially at that price..... and recommending the drop to a gk 106??? from a gk 104 even @ the lesser bandwidth...which at his res means NOTHING.....is not in the ops best intrest...its in lucys.....

and there is a BIG dif... between $75 and $2000

It doesn't matter if the 660 Ti is as bad as it is. The price on that system is higher than its gaming performance is worth.

Furthermore, the GTX 660 and the GTX 660 Ti have exactly identical memory bandwidth. The only performance difference is in the GPU frequency and core count, both of which are easily proven to be as luci said, not nearly as much of a difference as they look like.

The GTX 660 Ti is as bad and as good as it is made out to be. luciferano clearly stated that it's not a bad card several times in this thread, but also that it's not worth the price premium over the 660. luciferano's advice was in OP's best interest and whether or not you accept that is your choice to make. Even if you took one of luci's builds and switched out its graphics for a 660 Ti, it would still be a better deal than that combo deal that OP found.

Furthermore, current benchmarks show that the memory bus of the 660 and the 660 Ti can in act limit their performance at pretty much all resolutions and can do so quite noticeably. In fact, lower resolutions with configurations that use MSAA to make up for the lower graphics load are usually more memory-bandwidth intensive than a higher resolution with less MSAA.
October 17, 2012 4:54:26 PM

do you own ANY of said cards???

funny...ive found my 660ti to be a better playing exp. than my tri-fire 6970......

and really beyond the nitpicking about *** that really dont make a differance...the main point i was trying to make is that normal ppl that come for advice get PUT OFF BIGTIME, by this incessive arguing (that i am just as guilty of) again....

notice that the op aint been back......

he didnt seem the type to hit pc parts list or new egg, hitting the reviews like we do......

he just wanted to know if the board was ok.....

thats it....
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 5:19:11 PM

badtaylorx said:
do you own ANY of said cards???

funny...ive found my 660ti to be a better playing exp. than my tri-fire 6970......

and really beyond the nitpicking about *** that really dont make a differance...the main point i was trying to make is that normal ppl that come for advice get PUT OFF BIGTIME, by this incessive arguing (that i am just as guilty of) again....

notice that the op aint been back......

he didnt seem the type to hit pc parts list or new egg, hitting the reviews like we do......

he just wanted to know if the board was ok.....

thats it....

I do own a 7850 and I've worked with many of the cards that were mentioned here with builds that I've made for other people.

Crossfire, although I wouldn't expect it to be bad with such a setup as that, has micro-stutter and unless you're using current drivers in your comparison, the 6970 TriFire setup might have had some inferior drivers to today. Furthermore, how good the 660 Ti is to you doesn't matter for this context. None of us called it a bad card, yet you keep acting as if we did.

I nor luciferano nitpicked about anything that didn't matter. The point was that that combo deal was not ideal.

OP was looking at a combo deal on Newegg. It wouldn't have been any different in practice from pcparts and such except you might have to make a few separate orders instead of a single order. OP doesn't need to hit any reviews, luciferano did that work for OP.

You'd already answered about the system and board, so I don't see any reason to continue on that subject and based on this thread, I think that it's safe to assume that luciferano would agree.
October 17, 2012 6:33:32 PM

some points were made.....

but if anyone can tell me that a 660ti @ $225 after mir is a bad deal......well they're on drugs

and honestly it has nothing to do with red v green for me....if the combo had a 7950@ a similar discount......id recomend it just as hard!
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 6:40:33 PM

badtaylorx said:
some points were made.....

but if anyone can tell me that a 660ti @ $225 after mir is a bad deal......well they're on drugs

and honestly it has nothing to do with red v green for me....if the combo had a 7950@ a similar discount......id recomend it just as hard!

Neither I nor luciferano said that it had to be an AMD versus Nvidia deal nor did we make it out to be one. The Radeon 7950 is superiro for overclocking, so if overclocking was to be considered, it would be superior. I also notice that luciferano made a Nvidia recommendation, not just AMD recommendations.

There isn't a 660 Ti for $225 after MIR in this combo deal, so how good of a deal that may be is irrelevant.
October 17, 2012 6:49:06 PM

$228......my bad

wait.....are you lucy???
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 7:00:56 PM

$228 is still wrong.

No, I'm not luci.
October 17, 2012 8:11:47 PM

funny....if i take the price of the combo.....and then minus all of the prices for all of the stuff......

thats whats left....

just atta curiosity...

what do you come up with???
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 8:29:46 PM

badtaylorx said:
funny....if i take the price of the combo.....and then minus all of the prices for all of the stuff......

thats whats left....

just atta curiosity...

what do you come up with???

That's the money saved by the combo deal, not the cost of the 660 Ti and regardless, that combo is still an inferior value to what can be had no matter what part of it you address the savings with. It doesn't matter how you look at it, that combo is a not a great deal and much better deals are available.
October 17, 2012 8:43:43 PM

sorry bro .....you're wrong on both fronts.......you're way to wrapped up on minor detials to realize it....

i think Delirious788 summed it up perfectly

"I would get the deal. Dont think too much into it, like we are. Honestly, it is a solid build. The only improvement is getting a 7950 for about the same price as the 660Ti and getting a few more fps out of it. The big thing the 7950 helps for is huge resolutions, like 27in monitors and 2+ monitors."

he's just not as argumentative as me

but this is going nowhere....not like the op is reading any of this......
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
October 17, 2012 8:46:33 PM

badtaylorx said:
sorry bro .....you're wrong on both fronts.......you're way to wrapped up on minor detials to realize it....

"I would get the deal. Dont think too much into it, like we are. Honestly, it is a solid build. The only improvement is getting a 7950 for about the same price as the 660Ti and getting a few more fps out of it. The big thing the 7950 helps for is huge resolutions, like 27in monitors and 2+ monitors."

IDC what he'd do because he wants to get the inferior deal. I'm also not wrong on any fronts in this thread.

How good that deal is is irrelevant because it's inferior to others that can have superior performance at significantly lower prices.
October 18, 2012 2:09:21 AM

badtaylorx said:

oh you bet i do :)  every time someone posts something new i look at it
a c 83 V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
October 19, 2012 3:30:33 PM

The deal isn't a ripoff or anything, but it's not a great bargain either. If you pick components carefully it's possible to get a little more for your money.
!