Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Last minute compatibility check! $1300 i7 build

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 24, 2011 7:09:16 PM
September 24, 2011 7:37:04 PM

1. Get the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ instead of the Zalman
2. Save $100 and go with the 2500k, then use the savings to buy a better case.
3. Yes, the components are compatible.
m
0
l

Best solution

September 24, 2011 7:42:00 PM


Every thing is compatible but the RAM. These 1155 boards require low voltage RAM as in 1.5v and not 1.65v. Also if this build is primarily for gaming you can drop down to 8GB of RAM and a 2500K.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $52.99 FREE SHIPPING
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $58.99 FREE SHIPPING
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $51.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $51.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $54.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995

or...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $53.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997005
Share
Related resources
September 24, 2011 8:06:38 PM

Thanks for the RAM check, I got a 16 GB kit for 90 bucks with a promo code.

I also switched my cooler to the Coolermaster Hyper 212+

Any better suggestions for the case?

:) 
m
0
l
September 24, 2011 8:06:57 PM

Best answer selected by dezork.
m
0
l
September 24, 2011 8:23:53 PM

dezork said:
Thanks for the RAM check, I got a 16 GB kit for 90 bucks with a promo code.

I also switched my cooler to the Coolermaster Hyper 212+

Any better suggestions for the case?

:) 

If you haven't got that RAM yet, then don't. There's peeps who have messed up their controllers using that old school high voltage RAM with these 1155 boards.

If this is a gaming build, and not a video editing, CAD, or something in that area, then I would change up on the boards, cpu and the case. The 2600K gives you zero advantage in regards to gaming over the 2500K.

This board down below has those new PCI-E 3.0 and it's solid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $154.99
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Extre... <----- another look at that board

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/ <----- PCI-E 3.0

These cases down below just showed up on newegg a few days ago and they have everything including multiple fan controllers, dust filters, front USB 3.0 ports, etc...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $129.99 - $114.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Black Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

or that same case but in white....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $129.99 - $114.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

This case came out a few weeks ago and it's a bargain.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99 - $89.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
Corsair Carbide Series 400R Graphite grey and black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case


m
0
l
September 24, 2011 8:28:21 PM

I took your suggestion and got a 1.5 V kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



This rig is primarily for graphics rendering, including GPU compute-heavy rendering :)  I need the multi-threaded 2600k.

I'll take a look at your case recommendations... I'm basically at budget here though, so the ultra-cheap NZXT one is pretty attractive.
m
0
l
September 24, 2011 8:33:59 PM

dezork said:
I took your suggestion and got a 1.5 V kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



This rig is primarily for graphics rendering, including GPU compute-heavy rendering :)  I need the multi-threaded 2600k.

I'll take a look at your case recommendations... I'm basically at budget here though, so the ultra-cheap NZXT one is pretty attractive.

The thing that hurts that NZXT case is width. It's going to take an effort to fit any decent size cpu h/s in that thing. Look at the CM HAF 912 @ amazon for $54.99 + free shipping.
m
0
l
September 24, 2011 8:39:34 PM

Why_Me said:
The thing that hurts that NZXT case is width. It's going to take an effort to fit any decent size cpu h/s in that thing. Look at the CM HAF 912 @ amazon for $54.99 + free shipping.


That thing is an eyesore :\ Are there any other options at the ~55 dollar price point that would fit 2 full sized GPUs and an aftermarket CPU cooler?
m
0
l
September 24, 2011 8:48:40 PM

dezork said:
That thing is an eyesore :\ Are there any other options at the ~55 dollar price point that would fit 2 full sized GPUs and an aftermarket CPU cooler?

LOL....it does have that "rugged military look".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <--- this one's a bit more modest looking, and it's wide.
m
0
l
September 24, 2011 10:35:32 PM

Why_Me said:
LOL....it does have that "rugged military look".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <--- this one's a bit more modest looking, and it's wide.


Wide in which direction?

Amazon won't cancel my order for the Gamma, so I can either wait a while and return it or maybe remove some 3.5 inch bays? Or is it not wide enough in the other (non-height) direction?
m
0
l
!