Sign in with
Your question

Intel E5700

Last response: in CPUs
December 26, 2011 4:29:04 PM

Hi all,
first off i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Intel cpus (not cause I'm a AMD fan boy I just got burned with a e8600 that wouldn't overclock at all and i've left Intel alone since).

Anyway for my girlfriend I recommended an ebay pc with a pentium 4 cause it was a good deal, then got her a ati6770 (cause it was good and cheap). The cpu is a prescott an although it overclocks quite well (3.2Ghz np), its still god awful an bottlenecks the 6770. Thus, proving my point about knowing sod all about intels (i find the naming scheme really confusing).

She's not a hardcore gamer so i'm happy to stick with the 775 socket motherboard, I ideally want a cpu that will balance nicely with the 6770 - there's no point in overkill i3-i7 etc.

So I was wondering if a e5700 would be more in the ball park?

The motherboard is an asrock g41m with 2gigs of ddr3 (1333) and im a little unsure about FSB speeds on Intels. The e5700 has a FSB of 800 so does that mean it will downclock the ddr3?

And lastly does anybody use a e5700 with a 5770 or 6770? I just want playable fps in Skyrim and Left4dead2.

Thanks for any feedback on this!

More about : intel e5700

a b à CPUs
December 26, 2011 4:37:06 PM

You need another 2GB RAM too. In these days ( games,software and other stuffs) 4 Gb is necesary.You will be fine with e5700.
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2011 4:44:34 PM

What was wrong with the E8600? I doubt it was the chip TBH. More than likely your other components.
Related resources
December 26, 2011 5:44:35 PM

Cheers guys,
@ werxen: dont know what was wrong with the 8600 tbh wouldn't go a whisper over 3ghz an remain stable. Good quality modular psu 600w an msi mainboard so i doubt it was that (different os installs - random ctd over 3ghz) - gave it to my sister an it works nice an reliable just wont overclock at all. Was a little disappointing performance wise so i went back to amd.
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2011 6:16:48 PM

Has to be a ram issue then. I have never heard of a modern processor not being able to go over stock.

Back to the question:

If you try to play any modern games with that processor you will bottleneck your GPU for sure. Games are just now becoming more and more CPU intensive as before they really just relied on the GPU. You can for sure play these games, just on ultra low and you will experience stuttering and laggyness in certain parts. My E8500 chugs in some new games. Even overclocking won't really help that situation. If you still have that E8600, switch out the ram and try it.
December 26, 2011 7:44:56 PM

You could be right i didn't swap out the ram (think it was quite cheap corsair stuff come to think of it) however i doubt my sister will be too impressed if i try an ramp the balls out of it now. Was a bit surprised cause I bought it on recommendation from a tech support guy (in apple) and from what everyone tells me they overclock really well. You still get chugging in games at 4.5? U must run a really high resolution?
I have to say I bought a athlon11 x3 (3.1ghz) and admittedly I don't use high resolutions but I pretty much max out everything I want and still get quite good fps. BBc2, Skyrim, even crysis ran nice (paired with nvidia 460). I would a thought a E8500 would perform similar if not better in gaming, what with most not using multithreading too well.
!