Is my CPU too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuzri

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hello,

I'm running a Phenom II X4 970 @3.5ghz stock speed with the stock fan. I don't overclock, and have built this machine in order to play The Old Republic, which I am happy to say runs it beautifully :D. However, I was wondering if my temps were a bit hot.

My CPU usually idles anywhere from 31-35 degrees, and when I ran Prime95 for about 10 minutes (I was told it wasn't necessary since I was running everything at stock settings, but I wanted to try it anyway), it maxed at about 50 degrees.

Should I get an aftermarket cooler anyway? When I was building my PC last week, I put on and off the stock cooler/fan several times to make sure it fit correctly, and I might have smeared the paste too thin, and perhaps lost some in the process - could that be the cause of these temps? or is everything normal? Thanks.

Solution
50 at load!
I say it is cool not hot
so no need to worry

but if you want to try some overclock then go for better cooling, otherwise no need to waste money

stock cooler are decent enough, you can through any work load on this cpu and it will remain below 55 with stock heatsink

Kuzri

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Thanks, I'll definitely look into that one. I just wanted to ensure that my CPU wasn't in danger or anything of the sort. I find it rather shameful that Intel and AMD can't even include a decent heatsink/fan that wouldn't require upgrading. Oh well, business is business for every company :(.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
50 at load!
I say it is cool not hot
so no need to worry

but if you want to try some overclock then go for better cooling, otherwise no need to waste money

stock cooler are decent enough, you can through any work load on this cpu and it will remain below 55 with stock heatsink

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS