Sign in with
Your question

5.1 Speaker Setup for PC Help Please

Last response: in Components
December 26, 2011 5:24:32 PM

Folks,

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I tried to search the forum but was unsuccessful...

I'd like some advice on a soundcard/speaker system I can use for my PC to listen to iTunes, play games, and watch movies off my Blu-ray DVD drive I have installed in my pc.

I had originally thought about buying an inexpensive HT receiver to connect to my PC via an optical cable and a 5.1 HT speaker system, but again, not sure the best route to accomplish what I want.

Can some suggest the best way to hook this up? Crutchfield has a great price on a small footprint (Engery 5.1 system) which would fit perfect into my office decor, but didn’t want to do anything until I checked here for advice on how to set this all up.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

More about : speaker setup

December 26, 2011 6:41:58 PM

I highly recommend using your optical out to a reasonably priced 5.1 receiver, which can then use good pc speakers, or any bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer.

When my Klipsch 5.1 setup died, I got a Yamaha 5.1 receiver from Newegg on sale, used the optical cable and some old extra speakers I had along with a few of the computer speakers and it sounds awesome.

The four foot optical toslink cable from MONOPRICE was only about $5
m
l
December 27, 2011 1:53:12 AM

speedbird744 said:
Folks,

My apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, I tried to search the forum but was unsuccessful...

I'd like some advice on a soundcard/speaker system I can use for my PC to listen to iTunes, play games, and watch movies off my Blu-ray DVD drive I have installed in my pc.

I had originally thought about buying an inexpensive HT receiver to connect to my PC via an optical cable and a 5.1 HT speaker system, but again, not sure the best route to accomplish what I want.

Can some suggest the best way to hook this up? Crutchfield has a great price on a small footprint (Engery 5.1 system) which would fit perfect into my office decor, but didn’t want to do anything until I checked here for advice on how to set this all up.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm confused. do you want suggestions on which components to go with, or advice on how to hook it all up?

cheers
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2011 2:43:43 PM

Hi, how to hook it all up mainly :) 
m
l
December 28, 2011 3:13:09 AM

maybe a soundbar with a wireless subwoofer would work for you.

i came across this you may or may not be interested in.

I think you have the basic idea however, PC to cheap AVR through a Toslink, to the speakers. something that will work for you.

if you want specifics just narrow down what you need and I'm sure one of us can help you.

cheers
m
l
December 28, 2011 1:42:37 PM

Thanks guys! Just looking for an inexpensive setup that will sound good. I like the footprint of the Energy Micro 5.1 speakers alot, and just need to figure out a decent AVR and sound card. I do want to be able to play Blu-Ray movies from my Blu-Ray DVD in my PC, and take advantage of the sound it offers.
m
l
February 13, 2012 2:55:34 AM

The Energy Micro 5.1 speakers (a Klipsch company) are a good choice for a small footprint 5.1 speaker system. If your going to use a AVR and your onboard (motherboard) sound has an s/pdif outputs (optical and/or digital) you don't really need a sound card. Most people don't realize that a sound card really doesn't do anything to the s/pdif output, just the analog.

The exception here is Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect where a sound card takes stereo PCM and up converts it to 5.1 surround. Since many AVR's can also do this, as long as you have s/pdif outputs on your PC your pre-amp in your AVR will completely replace your sound card and a sound card would just be redundant.

Another important factor is an HDMI connection. If you PC's video card has one you will want a AVR with one as well since the best digital audio streams with blue-ray (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio) are only available through HDMI

As long as you have the necessary HDMI connections it doesn't matter whether your PC's s/pdif output is coaxial or optical since they both produce a completely clean digital signal. The only difference between the two is optical is capable of carrying more information therefore it can deliver 5.1 whereas coaxial can only deliver stereo. If your AVR is doing the Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect encoding that difference is moot unless you don't have a video card with HDMI and need the optical to transfer pre-encoded 5.1 from video sources.

So,
#1) I like your choice of speakers.

#2) As long as you have the right connections on your PC you don't need a sound card.

#3) I haven't been paying enough attention to AVR's to give you a good recommendation but, you should get one with both s/pdif and HDMI inputs.

Anyway I hope this helps. Maybe someone else can recommend a good AVR with those inputs. :D 

m
l
!