BG1 - Does Jaheira get better? (playing backwards)

Hi:

I finished playing BG2 SoA and ToB recently (SoA was a replay, ToB a
first run) and I'm now playing through BG1 for the first time.

I'm playing as a Paladin, which is how I did my play of BG2. My final
BG2 party had:
- Me
- Jaheira (romance)
- Minsc
- Mazzy
- Aerie
- Imoen

And although it was rather unbalanced, it worked and I enjoyed it. So
now I'm playing BG1, and would like to have it end in a way that makes
sense for my BG2 run. But that would mean a party of:
- Me
- Imoen (which is fine)
- Minsc (again fine)
- Dynaheir (haven't gotten her yet, but assume fine as I need a mage)
- Jaheria
- Khalid.

My problem is the last two. Jaheira is constantly moaning, and the
voice work is pretty bland, and Khalid in particular seems to play no
particular use - he's weak as a front liner, and provides no support.

I know my options are to (a) just dump them both (J & K) and forget
continuity, (b) let Khalid die or (c) keep them both and seal my party
early on.

One question - if I drop them somewhere, will they stay there? Do they
disappear like some or just hang around like others? I could always
pick them up later.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Anderson wrote:

<<snip>>
> So
> now I'm playing BG1, and would like to have it end in a way that makes
> sense for my BG2 run. But that would mean a party of:
<<snip>>
> Jaheira is constantly moaning, and the
> voice work is pretty bland, and Khalid in particular seems to play no
> particular use - he's weak as a front liner, and provides no support.
>
> I know my options are to (a) just dump them both (J & K) and forget
> continuity, (b) let Khalid die or (c) keep them both and seal my party
> early on.
>
> One question - if I drop them somewhere, will they stay there? Do they
> disappear like some or just hang around like others? I could always
> pick them up later.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Mike,

My advice is to give Khalid a chance and perhaps change the way you use
him. You may have other solutions, but I found his ability to use a wide
variety of weapons makes him a kick-ass missle support and short-term
third tank. With time, Khalid grows in confidence.

Fireclown

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Michael wrote:

> I'm playing as a Paladin, which is how I did my play of BG2. My final
> BG2 party had:
> - Me
> - Jaheira (romance)
> - Minsc
> - Mazzy
> - Aerie
> - Imoen
>
> And although it was rather unbalanced, it worked and I enjoyed it. So
> now I'm playing BG1, and would like to have it end in a way that makes
> sense for my BG2 run. But that would mean a party of:
> - Me
> - Imoen (which is fine)
> - Minsc (again fine)
> - Dynaheir (haven't gotten her yet, but assume fine as I need a mage)
> - Jaheria
> - Khalid.

I'm not happy with Dynaheir's limitations as a mage; she can't cast any
Conjuration/Summoning spells (e.g. Armor, Melf's Acid Arrow, or Flame
Arrow). I generally dual-class Imoen to mage as soon as feasible (which IMO
is shortly after finishing the mines, because getting through the mines
without a thief is tough). So in the situation you face now, I'd let
Dynaheir die shortly after rescuing her, then go looking for Safana. When
you find her, then dual-class Imoen to mage. Dump Khalid and Jaheira, and
pick up Garrick and Branwen. (Branwen's "By Tempus' shield!" is always
rousing). Garrick can provide missile support and minor magic, but he
*really* gets useful as a pickpocket and loremaster, and you can pump up
Safana's skills in the other thieving areas. Besides, Safana's voice is a
HUGE improvement over Jaheira's!

The reason this makes sense in terms of continuity with the party you want
in BG2 is that once J&K got you to Nashkel, they'd fulfilled their
obligation to Gorion. They still feel responsible for you, but they can
plainly see that you're equipped to get along without them. Also, Khalid is
*alive* when you leave, which means that he won't need to be resurrected in
time to die and be dissected by Irenicus.

Bob

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:33:46 -0500, Fireclown
<Fireclown@spamblock.com> wrote:

>Mike,
>
>My advice is to give Khalid a chance and perhaps change the way you use
>him. You may have other solutions, but I found his ability to use a wide
>variety of weapons makes him a kick-ass missle support and short-term
>third tank. With time, Khalid grows in confidence.
>
>Fireclown

Thanks.

My problem is that with my desire to make sure I have my BG2 team in
hand at game-end, and the 'buy one get two' deal with Minsc and
Jaheira, I have no slots to meet anyone new.

I think I'm going to drop them in Beregost for a while and look for
more friends ... them come back for them later.

Mike

On 15 Nov 2004 09:52:23 -0600, "Bob" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.com>
wrote:

>The reason this makes sense in terms of continuity with the party you want
>in BG2 is that once J&K got you to Nashkel, they'd fulfilled their
>obligation to Gorion. They still feel responsible for you, but they can
>plainly see that you're equipped to get along without them. Also, Khalid is
>*alive* when you leave, which means that he won't need to be resurrected in
>time to die and be dissected by Irenicus.
>
>Bob

I'll buy that rationalization ;)

I dumped Branwen when I got Dynaheir. Maybe she'll take me back ?

Mike

ME

Fireclown <Fireclown@spamblock.com> wrote in

> Michael Anderson wrote:
>
> <<snip>>
>> So
>> now I'm playing BG1, and would like to have it end in a
>> way that makes sense for my BG2 run. But that would mean a
>> party of:
> <<snip>>
>> Jaheira is constantly moaning, and the
>> voice work is pretty bland, and Khalid in particular seems
>> to play no particular use - he's weak as a front liner,
>> and provides no support.
>>
>> I know my options are to (a) just dump them both (J & K)
>> and forget continuity, (b) let Khalid die or (c) keep them
>> both and seal my party early on.
>>
>> One question - if I drop them somewhere, will they stay
>> there? Do they disappear like some or just hang around
>> like others? I could always pick them up later.
>>
>> Any advice?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>
> Mike,
>
> My advice is to give Khalid a chance and perhaps change the
> way you use him. You may have other solutions, but I found
> his ability to use a wide variety of weapons makes him a
> kick-ass missle support and short-term third tank. With
> time, Khalid grows in confidence.
>
> Fireclown

Second. With the Gaunt's of Ogre Power K makes a good tank.

If you drop J & K, they disappear after you finish Nashkel
mines.

Replies to: Njk04s_130_p(at)Ojuno(dot)Tcom

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:50:31 GMT, me@tadyatam.invalid wrote:
>> Mike,
>>
>> My advice is to give Khalid a chance and perhaps change the
>> way you use him. You may have other solutions, but I found
>> his ability to use a wide variety of weapons makes him a
>> kick-ass missle support and short-term third tank. With
>> time, Khalid grows in confidence.
>>
>> Fireclown
>>

>Second. With the Gaunt's of Ogre Power K makes a good tank.
>
>If you drop J & K, they disappear after you finish Nashkel
>mines.

Whoah .... is this permenant? I already did the mines, and just
rescued Dynaheir the mega-spawn Gnolls (completely whacked my party
travel strategy to have Gnolls appear in the middle of the group as we
walked! :( ), and went back to explore some other areas I 'passed
through'.

Now that we're done with the mines, if I drop K & J, will they
disappear forever?!?!

Mike

If you want to dump J/K with an option to return for them later, just have them walk into an inn or building alone...while you're outside, then remove them from the party. BTW, be sure to remove any good equipment they have that you want to hold on to, as it will be gone when you return for them. Also, Dynaheir is an awesome mage especially with the ring of wizardry. She can really turn the tide in your favor in a tough battle.

X.