Did I break my graphics card

Jvass

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Built my computer in november without a problem. I was using it today..had it running extended monitors on monitors 1 and 3.

Decided to figure out why the front audio port wasnt working (It never has). The computer was on, it was the sleep mode screen which happens if i don't touch it for 10 minutes. I open it, take out the HD audio cable, plug it back in, move my mouse to take it out of sleep mode and it doesn't work now,

Running two monitors through DVI, and another with a active mini DP to HDMI converter. Since 2 screens were on, i doubt they both unplugged.

Edit: When I turn it on, i can hear the sound of windows starting up through my surround sound, lights are on, fans on, keyboard lights up, mouse lights up, GPU fan spins..

Any ideas?
Thank you

Intel i7-950 OC'd @ 3.8
Sapphire Radeon 6870
CM HAF 932
Asus P6X58D-E
Windows 7
CM 120mm Heatsink
Corsair 750w
Light on 24x DVD
1 TB Western Digital
6g Corsair DDR3
2x ASUS 23" monitors
Logitech G510
Razer Naga

There's no on-board video on that X58 board, but I'd suggest you remove the card as adam_x_brookes has stated. I'd go so far as to say start it with no video card in, so the video drivers detect the change, shut it down (even using the power button if you have to since you're driving blind). Depending on the BIOS, you'll still be booting to Windows without video capability and you'll still hear windows starting up.

After you shut down, put the card back in and start it up again.

Jvass

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

I did exactly what you said, no luck :(

I did hear windows starting up without the card though

The thing that sucks is messing with that HD connector to the motherboard with the PC on can ruin the motherboard. Just having the sound set incorrectly in the BIOS in conjunction with using the wrong lead (AC'97 v HD Audio) from the motherboard to the case can short out or ruin parts of your motherboard. You could try to RMA the video card, but I think you might end up having to do the same with the motherboard.

Jvass

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

I hope not >.> But if anything I learned a lesson. If the motherboard was broken though, would the computer start up? I mean fans go on, lights light up, i even hear the sound of windows 7 booting up