FX 6100 vs Phenom 1055T

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hi.. :D
Im planning to upgrade my CPU. Ive read a couple of reviews and threads regarding these 2 CPUs but im still confuse of what to buy.

First is that both are at the same price range so im just choosing between these two.

Both are 6-core processors but FX6100 has a higher core speed and its a newer technology so im considering it. But ive read some negative review regarding it and on cpubenchmarks.com FX 6100 is ranked 80th and 1055T is just 98th.

Im not an expert on these matter but Im using my pc for gaming and I also want a GPU thats more future-proof.

Also..in this comparisson, is higher core speed better? Cause as I understand some games still cant utilize 6 cores efficiently..

Thanks in advance..

"but FX6100 has a higher core speed and its a newer technology so im considering it" - it has newer tech, but AMD's newer tech is worse than their older tech unfortunately. But I think amuffins statement is not right, the 6100 would probably a little faster than the 1055t, but for gaming specifically the 1055t may have a slight edge due to better per-core per-clock performance, but it does have a low clock speed. Most games dont utillise more than 2-3 or sometimes 4 cores. If you want a fast gaming CPU you should forget AMD cpu's, especially the 6 core models, and go with an intel i5 model. Even the lowest i5 23xx cpu's blow any overclocked amd cpu out the water for gaming. If you already have an AMD motherboard, buy the highest clocked Phenom II x4 you can get your hands on. The 1055 and 6100t both suck big time for games. Also think about the 960T model, it can possibly be unlocked to a 6 core processor, but is a good 4 core processor that overclocks well. But if your not into overclocking, again, get the fastest 4 core phenom II available or core i5 2xxx cpu if your going to be buying a new motherboard.

xaira

Distinguished
i say stick with the x4 640... but what do i know, if you just wanna see more threads in task manager, which really used to turn me on unitl i grew the f up...some phenom II octocores should be released in january at some very competitive prices

They are not true Phenoms but are instead failed Bulldozer samples that never made FX grade with L3 cache disabled. Also they clock lower with horrible power consumption figures. Sure 8 cores but we all know the steaming pile of poop that was bulldozer.

I shall call it Sempron FX!

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
6 cores suck at games is a bit tough.

I use both 965 and 1090T and you could not tell the difference on which you are playing. The T uses an 5770 X-fire set up abd the 965 is paired to a 6850 neither system is OCed, as there is literally no need to do so. However the T slighly outperforms the 965 in the games I have. Currently working through Crysis 2.

If this was up to me, and I agree yours is a tough call, i'd go with the FX simply because it's the tech line that AMD is going down and I really can't see the FX being more lame than the 1055T. Seems like a lot of anti-AMD hype to me.

I wouldn't change out a FX 6100 if I owned a 1055T, but if you are coming from an X2 or less then the FX will be all you need and more, of that I would be quite sure.

If someone told me their new 6100FX was being blown away by a 1055T setup I'd want to see the systems in person. It'd would literally be easier to believe in the tooh fairy...seriously.

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
6 cores suck at games is a bit tough.

I use both 965 and 1090T and you could not tell the difference on which you are playing. The T uses an 5770 X-fire set up abd the 965 is paired to a 6850 neither system is OCed, as there is literally no need to do so. However the T slighly outperforms the 965 in the games I have. Currently working through Crysis 2.

If this was up to me, and I agree yours is a tough call, i'd go with the FX simply because it's the tech line that AMD is going down and I really can't see the FX being more lame than the 1055T. Seems like a lot of anti-AMD hype to me.

I wouldn't change out a FX 6100 if I owned a 1055T, but if you are coming from an X2 or less then the FX will be all you need and more, of that I would be quite sure.

If someone told me their new 6100FX was being blown away by a 1055T setup I'd want to see the systems in person. It'd would literally be easier to believe in the tooh fairy...seriously.

logoers

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
If you want a fast gaming CPU you should forget AMD cpu's, especially the 6 core models, and go with an intel i5 model.
g.gif

waspzz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Well..Im still confused..lol :D
The replies are almost the same as the other threads that Ive read..There is really a lot opinions regarding this topic..

First off, theres a lot of suggestions about switching to intel..
The nearest intel processor in line with the price range of both is i5-2400. Is this much better than both??

An if i dont want to change my MOBO and just add a little extra buck in buying a processor rather than buying a new MOBO, what would be the next best AMD cpu thats is sure to be better than both??

G

I've been reading this for a while and I thought I would get my own opinion in, I recently upgraded from an Athlon 6000+ to the FX-6100, boy it was a huge upgrade, for me it was great, however it performs the same in games as my friend's Phenom II X4 955 on the same card (when we tested it we both had a HD 6770, I now own a 1Gb 6950 ^^).
But I can record in FRAPS with almost no frame dropping and can render my videos in Sony Vegas around 40% faster than he can, if you purely want games, go with a previous gen Phenom X4 or an i5 2500K, if you wan't to do anything with video editing or maybe even 3D rendering then grab a bulldozer CPU as they multi thread a lot better in these types of applications

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

That asrock motherboard won't work with fx cpus, best you can put on it is the 1100T

heavybarnett

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Noob is right thats a AM3 board FX are AM3+. AM3+ chips are not backwards compatible with AM3 boards due to the fact that AM3+ chips have 1 extra pin then AM3. If you are stuck on sticking with the mother board you have go with a good quad or one of the AM3 hexs. I suggest though you get a AM3+ board and strap a good AM3 possessor on it intell amd fixs the fx chips then upgrade to a fx chip later on. Or if your not on a tight budget go with a sandy bridge i5 with the upgradeable option of an i7.

fenfen2

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
before i use 955 BE Phenom i used FX series but yeah the price more cheap but it can't compare with 955 BE which 955 BE more fast

www.bajumurahkorea.blogspot.com