HDMI, no sound

Kvakac

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hello,
I have ATI 4870X2 (Palit Revolution R700), there are DVI, Display Port and HDMI outputs on the card. System is Win XP.

I connected HDMI output with LCD TV and there is no sound. I have tried drivers from ATI website - seems like nothing is installed during the process (as if the sound chip wasn't even there). Also I've tried the realtek Ati HDMI Audio driver with no success. I don't see any audio device besides my Asus soundcared. There is one PCI device, which isn't installed... It might be the audio chip, but I have tried to install the drivers specifically for this device and it wouldn't accept the drivers.

Does someone have this particular Graphics card with working HDMI sound ?

I'd be grateful for any advice.
Thanks

I had that issue once I hit driver release 11 on my AMD cards. The recommended method that seemed to work for some people was to install each of the separate ATI driver components separately (catalyst video drivers, catalyst control center, HDMI/DP audio, ATI Stream, etc...). They're on the second tab of the install page.

It didn't work for me on my 5850s, although this method may work for you?

Kvakac

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I have managed to install a driver for the unknown device. I needed to install first Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver for High Definition Audio which should already have been in the XP Service pack 3. Then I was able to install the ATI HDMI Audio driver.

So now I have the device (hopefully properly) installed, but I still hear no audio on the TV. I think that the problem is now, that I cannot select the HDMI Audio output in sound playback in control panel.

Kvakac

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Finally it works! I had to enable the onboard sound, install drivers and now I have the HD rear output available in the devices.
I didn't realize, or expect that the onboard soundcard has to be enabled to HDMI output to work. I have always used other soundcards - creative and now asus and always had the onboard disabled.
Anyway, I am writing this for anyone who might experience such problem, and I hope this helps.