I7-2600 or GTX 470

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Greetings,

I recently completed my new build, and I was wondering if I am going to benefit by keeping my GTX 470, or just using my i7-2600k. The new system is equipped with 16GB of RAM, 2 SSDs in RAID 0 along with a 2 TB for storage capacity. My only use of the machine is for Adobe CS5, Photomatix, Corel PaintShop Pro 13 and PaintItNow, Capture One Pro 6, HDRSoft, and a couple of other video/photoediting softwares. I was looking at some of the hardware requirements on these pieces of software, but I guess I'm not too sure if my GTX 470 is giving me some extra performance. If it is just sucking up energy and making heat, I would rather just opt for the i7-2600k.

Thanks much!

-Phil

You're in a good position, because it won't cost you anything to try things.

If I were you, I'd remove the nvidia drivers, shut the system down and remove the 470.

Plug your monitor into your motherboard's on-board video port and run with the Intel HD 3000 graphics.

If you can do everything you did with the 470 in and you don't notice or can stand any change in performance, you don't need the 470. Otherwise, put the 470 back in. You'll have your answer either way.

Well, since you're not gaming, a GTX 470 would be of no use also since you're not using any sorts of 3D rendering soft-wares. As ubercake suggested, plug your monitor video port to your motherboard so that you can instead use the intel HD 3000 or GMA 3000 for this purpose.

+1

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Great! I was hoping to hear something like that. No sense wasing additional power if I don't have to. I never thought I would opt for an "onboard" graphics over an add in card...but I guess I have come to that point.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!

-Phil

Did you try it out yet?