Status
Not open for further replies.

KardisF1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
My friend and I did a new build and it works great, but the idle says its 7C on the stock air cooler. This is with core temp. Is this at all possible? My i3 540 rig runs around 25C at idle and I thought that was cool. We used coretemp. I'm concerned because if it is misreading, then it won't know when its reached the TJ.

Specs:
FX 4100 3.6 Ghz
8 GB DDR3
NZXT Gamma (4 rosewill fans too)
ASRock 970 Extreme 3
HIS 6870
500GB Hitachi
Antec Earthwatts 750

P.S.: We've played Skyrim for 2 hours and it has worked flawlessly at high/ultras, so the CPU works fine.

Solution
Looks like there is some sort of issue with software temperature monitoring and your motherboard. What load temps are you getting with coretemp and HWMonitor?
Unless the ambient temperature of the room the computer is operating in is about 0 degrees celsius, that is definitely a bad sensor or software error, even on a really good cooler you won't idle at 7 celsius at room temperature. You can try some other programs like SpeedFan or HWMonitor and see if they give you a more realistic reading. The fact that you played 2 hours of Skyrim on ultra indicates that you aren't likely overheating, otherwise you would have hit thermal throttling or shutdown, so you should be okay.

KardisF1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded HWMonitor and the cpu still says 5-7C, but the motherboard sensor gives a MUCH more reasonable temperature of 32C. Should I just offset the cpu temperature in coretemp to compensate?

KardisF1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks for all of the replies. Under load (skyrim) the processor reports that it hits 19C maximum, which is lower than my i3 at idle. The mobo came with a drivers disk, would that contain anything useful (already pulled the LAN drivers off of it.)

KardisF1

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Thanks for all of the replies. Under load (skyrim) the processor reports that it hits 19C maximum, which is lower than my i3 at idle. The mobo came with a drivers disk, would that contain anything useful (already pulled the LAN drivers off of it.)

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
With air cooler there's no way CPU get lower temps than the weather (if weather inside room not like 0 celsius, then it's impossible). Since that's a 'passive' cooling method. Only "Active" cooling like air conditioner would make this possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.