Tags:
  • Memory
  • Windows 7
  • RAM
  • Gigabyte
Last response: in Memory
October 13, 2012 2:19:18 AM

Hi everybody.

I recently purchased a 4gb ddr2 kit of ram for my PC (2*2GB)

My mobo is Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L, and on the gigabyte website it states that it will support 4GB of RAM,

But after I installed the 4gb kit i noticed that windows says that only 3gb is usable, "4GB (3GB usable)"

I am running 64bit windows...

I'm so confused here, what could be the problem that stops all of the RAM from being usable?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=... (my mobo)

Thanks...

More about : 3gb 4gb usable ram 64bit windows

a c 92 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2012 2:27:40 AM

If you don't have a graphics card, your integrated graphics is using it.
m
l
October 13, 2012 2:29:51 AM

I have an ATi HD 7750 with 1GB of dedicated graphics, so would it still share the memory with that?
m
l
Related resources
October 13, 2012 2:35:45 AM

k1114 said:
If you don't have a graphics card, your integrated graphics is using it.

I have an ATi HD 7750 with 1GB of dedicated graphics, so would it still share the memory with that?

P.S sorry for double post :pfff: 
m
l
October 13, 2012 2:47:49 AM

I have some new information;

In resource monitor, it tells that 1025 mb of ram is 'hardware reserved'.

This would explain why only 3gb is usable..

But what hardware is using it? I have a dedicated graphics card...

Also, in msconfig, I have unchecked the box that sets 'maximum memory'
m
l
October 13, 2012 2:52:13 AM

very strange indeed... is the integrated graphics on the motherboard AMD/ATI based? If so there might be some hybrid crossfire going on. If you have a AMD APU then that is even more likely.
m
l
October 13, 2012 3:04:00 AM

Pepto said:
very strange indeed... is the integrated graphics on the motherboard AMD/ATI based? If so there might be some hybrid crossfire going on. If you have a AMD APU then that is even more likely.

I don't believe that my mobo even has integrated graphics...

When I connect my display to the vga port on my mobo it doesn't display anything. and the gigabyte website doesn't mention anything about ATi integrated graphics.

My CPU is Core 2 Duo e6850...

m
l
October 13, 2012 3:06:28 AM

tavization said:
I don't believe that my mobo even has integrated graphics...

When I connect my display to the vga port on my mobo it doesn't display anything. and the gigabyte website doesn't mention anything about ATi integrated graphics.

My CPU is Core 2 Duo e6850...

Then I am stumped, sorry :( 
m
l
a c 92 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2012 3:11:41 AM

Your integrated is disabled since you have a discrete card. Do you have a sound card? Any other extra cards? Double check computer properties and make sure it says 64 bit os.
m
l
October 13, 2012 3:13:38 AM

k1114 said:
Your integrated is disabled since you have a discrete card. Do you have a sound card? Any other extra cards? Double check computer properties and make sure it says 64 bit os.

I don't have any other cards other than my GPU..

And yes, I am definitely running windows 7 64bit.
m
l
a c 92 } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2012 3:15:50 AM

Check if there is a memory remapping option in the bios. If there isn't try resetting cmos.
m
l
October 13, 2012 3:27:13 AM

k1114 said:
Check if there is a memory remapping option in the bios. If there isn't try resetting cmos.

There is no memory remapping option in my bios..

I tried resetting the CMOS, but I am still having the same problem..

Thanks for you help :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2012 4:53:48 AM

You have integrated graphics in the North Bridge so double check your bios and make sure the bios is releasing any memory that it might be using for the integrated graphics card. Although I have seen some cases where even when it is disabled the bios would not release the memory for it.
October 13, 2012 5:16:59 AM

bryonhowley said:
You have integrated graphics in the North Bridge so double check your bios and make sure the bios is releasing any memory that it might be using for the integrated graphics card. Although I have seen some cases where even when it is disabled the bios would not release the memory for it.

What would I look for in the BIOS to see if it is holding back any memory?

Thanks for your help :) 
m
l
October 23, 2012 12:13:36 AM

Best answer selected by tavization.
m
l