Color Difference? AMD vs Nvidia

Is there any noticeable Color difference between AMD and Nvidia cards?

When I look at the XBOX360 and the PS3 I can definitely see a difference.

XBOX360 (ATI chip) seems to have brighter more robust colors

PS3 (Nvidia chip) - seems to have cooler colors but the contrast of the Reds, Blues, and Yellows are really nice.

I can't figure out if that is because of the display settings Sony made for the PS3 or not.

I have not owned an Nvidia card for about 6-7 years now. I was curious how there technology has come along.

Is there really a difference? Or does it just come down to display settings?

dantdj

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I'm not entirely sure why that happens, to be honest. However, as far as I know, there's no colour difference between AMD and nVidia cards.

I'm guessing it's just something Microsoft and Sony do to their respective consoles. PC stuff is usually a lot more generalized.

gelde3001

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Actually Nvidia cards have always had slightly muted colours compared to ATI as far back as I can remember - on my gf3/4/5 and 6 (not personally run newer due to their lies about power consumption and general attitudes that I can not support) I always had to set the digital vibrance to 1 (the first notch on the slider) which always gave colours a lot more punch - much better for games but professionals might argue its wrong.

Im not sure why this is but I know thats what I had to do - laptop or desktop btw on nearly all cards, personal or customer with the single expection of a 6200a passive pny card one friend had once !.

Anyway the other thing to remember about the consoles is that the 360 is running direct X and the ps3 is openGL which have their respective diferences in rendering, not sure if that could account as well but Im betting its just an nv / ati trait.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Nvidia cards do render what appear to be muted colors in some games, but that's nothing a good calibration can't fix. When people do side-by-side screenies, they're switching between video cards at a ridiculous pace and not recalibrating their monitor each time.