MrTOWN

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Hey everyone!

I currently bought a new pc and when i was playing swtor my pc shut off. I ran my HW monitor and my cpu is hitting temps of 85 degrees. when it is idle it is running at 30. I believe its shutting down due to this. My question is could this be the issue and what are some solutions? The system temp is 30 degrees. I reapplied paste and it has not made a difference and the heatsink is properly fitted.

My system is:

i5 2500k
gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
G.skill ddr3
700w power supp.
550ti gpu

30 c. is very good at idle. 85c is undoubtedly a problem.

You might run realtemp to verify the temperature measurement.

If you have a "K", I assume you may be overclocking it. If so, back off the overclock.

Also, how is your case cooling? Take off the sides of the case and direct a house fan at the innards. If that helps the issue much then you have a case cooling issue.

Are you using the stock Intel cooler? There are better coolers out there for about $30

How do you know the heat sink is properly fitted? The stock Intel pushpin coolers are notoriously hard to get on properly.

MrTOWN

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I was planning to overclock but I havent started because of the heat issue. I have tried taking the sides off. I just noticed my fan is only spinning at 1600 rpm. Is there a way to speed it up? and yes it is a stock fan. I make sure I heard a click then I pull on it to make sure there is no movement between the cpu and sink.

Your bios will have some options for controlling the cpu fan. Check that out.
1600rpm is less than the max which I think is around 2400rpm.
But, 1600 should still give you adequate cooling.

The only way to be certain that the stock cooler is on properly, is to look at the pins from the back of the motherboard. All 4 must be entirely through and locked.

When you apply thermal material, too much can act as an insulator. Only a small drop is needed, it's job is only to fill in microscopic imperfections. It is hard to use too little.

A Xigmatek gaia or cm hyper will do the job quieter and more effectively for about $30.
Theyy have a backplate mount which allows more attachment pressure than pushpins.

MrTOWN

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I was checking out my setting in easytune and apparently my cpu is running at 3.7 and not 3.3. I havent overclocked but its saying I am. It says my default is 3.7 which is weird. Is there something i can do to confirm this or reset it because easytune will not let me set my defaults to 3.3

I would work directly with the bios. Set everything to auto. Use cpu-z to see how high the multiplier goes under load.

Still 3.7 should not cause any heat issue.

That is TurboBoost kicking in.

I think about 95c is where the cpu will self throttle to protect itself.

Under a stress test using something like prime95. I would want to stay under75c.

But under normal heavy workload, you will be lower.