Most important spec for large displays?

Zeldian

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hey guys, I am going to be running a 2560x1440 display for gaming, and was wondering what the most important spec in a card I should look for. Is it processors... is it memory? I figured there might be some things to look for that are different than say, dual monitors or lower resolutions.

Thanks for any advice!

dantdj

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Memory definitely comes into account, I believe. If you'll be doing gaming, then you'll want the higher resolution textures being put up, and the higher the detail on the textures, the more VRAM needed.

Processing does also come into account, but most cards that you get that are around the middle/upper-middle tier should definitely be more than capable of gaming at that resolution!

randomkid

Distinguished

Good gaming performance for 2560x1440 resolution begins with a HD 6870. It gets better with 6950 1GB but ideal should be the 6950 2GB Version.
Check this out:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964-4.html

Zeldian

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Thanks! So, if I go that route in a crossfire setup, will that be even better for the resolution?

EliteViking

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Yea that should work very well. I'm a bigger nvidia fan so a 570 would be awesome and if you ever were to run more monitors, msi sells a 3 gb gtx 580

Good luck though with your buying !

randomkid

Distinguished

Sure. Higher resolution means more pixels to process when rendering the images. More pixels, more power you need. CF setup just means more processors so more fps will be rendered. so it definitely helps.