Sign in with
Your question

Which do you suggest? 650D, Raven 3, Storm Enforcer

Last response: in Components
December 27, 2011 4:23:27 AM

I'm looking at cases for my new build and have narrowed it down to three cases I like, but I can't decide between them. I feel like I'm being asked which of my children is my favorite. Anyway the cases are:

Corsair Obsidian 650D Link
I like this case for it's beautiful, minimalistic design, superior cable management, room for expanding, ease of use (the latches for the doors, pop off dust filter in front, etc.) and even though I likely won't use it much, the top 3.5/2.5" dock would be extremely nice on the occasion I do need it. I'm worried about it's cooling performance however.

Silverstone Raven RV03 Link
I love the innovative design and the fact that it's (one of) the best chassis for air cooling. The looks are alright but not as nice as Corsair's Obsidian series. This will be my second build ever so I would be a little nervous building in this case because of the completely different layout but I'm sure it's not all that difficult.

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Link
This guy looks like a great case for the money. This guy is my budget option. Even though it's not the minimalistic look I like with the 650D it's surprisingly nice looking for having that "gamer" look. Seems like it would have decent air cooling. It's a lot smaller than the other two cases though and even though I like the looks, it's the worst looking of the three that I have picked.

Just to provide some more info, I'm going to be putting these components in the case:

ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
HD 6950 or 6970 and maybe going xfire in the future
i5 2500k
Haven't decided on a cpu cooler yet. Right now I'm looking at the Corsair H80 and some of the higher end heatsinks such as a Phanteks or a Frio.
I think that's about all that could influence the choice of case. Also, I don't plan on watercooling.
December 27, 2011 10:35:40 AM

Shavako said:
I'm looking at cases for my new build and have narrowed it down to three cases I like, but I can't decide between them. I feel like I'm being asked which of my children is my favorite. Anyway the cases are:

Corsair Obsidian 650D Link
I like this case for it's beautiful, minimalistic design, superior cable management, room for expanding, ease of use (the latches for the doors, pop off dust filter in front, etc.) and even though I likely won't use it much, the top 3.5/2.5" dock would be extremely nice on the occasion I do need it. I'm worried about it's cooling performance however.

Silverstone Raven RV03 Link
I love the innovative design and the fact that it's (one of) the best chassis for air cooling. The looks are alright but not as nice as Corsair's Obsidian series. This will be my second build ever so I would be a little nervous building in this case because of the completely different layout but I'm sure it's not all that difficult.

Cooler Master Storm Enforcer Link
This guy looks like a great case for the money. This guy is my budget option. Even though it's not the minimalistic look I like with the 650D it's surprisingly nice looking for having that "gamer" look. Seems like it would have decent air cooling. It's a lot smaller than the other two cases though and even though I like the looks, it's the worst looking of the three that I have picked.

Just to provide some more info, I'm going to be putting these components in the case:

ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
HD 6950 or 6970 and maybe going xfire in the future
i5 2500k
Haven't decided on a cpu cooler yet. Right now I'm looking at the Corsair H80 and some of the higher end heatsinks such as a Phanteks or a Frio.
I think that's about all that could influence the choice of case. Also, I don't plan on watercooling.

Silverstone Raven RV03 is bigger, nice design, vertical mobo installation and looks like you can do a great cooled systems on it, if you have the budget go for it.
December 27, 2011 5:22:46 PM

The Raven is only about an inch bigger, and personally I prefer the look of the 650D.
The vertical mobo installation does seem like it is a great design to help cooling but if the 650D isn't much worse on cooling than I might honestly go with the 650D. Though I would likely have to replace the stock fans in it, upping the cost. The only thing I plan on overclocking is the CPU to about 4.0-4.5 and the GPU will only be overclocked if I get one that has a factory OC so I think temps will be manageable.

I'm also looking at the NZXT Phantom now since I found out you can buy a side panel with a window.
Related resources
December 27, 2011 5:39:33 PM

consider the size of the GPU, since if it's too close to the HDD cage you will need to reconsider your cooling options (it will block off some airflow to the top of the case).

when buying a case and you are forced to choose between looks and cooling, go for the latter.. do you want your pc to last or to look cool for a shorter period of time? also better cooling will more often than not mean less noise, since case fans won't have to spin faster to keep up with temps.

look up a couple of reviews and you will find the answers you are looking for.
December 27, 2011 5:41:29 PM

I think the RV03 is awesome.... and will sell mine to you lol... the reason I say I would sell it is I want to water cool and it's limited in it's water cooling abilities, but for Air Cooling it is AWESOME.... great case really... just wish I had gone with the obsidian 800d... I see the 650 as a step down from the raven personally...

I might even suggest the rv02-E as some people say the RV03 was a step back from the 02...
December 27, 2011 5:57:44 PM

So 650D is all looks and the Raven is all performance (like I said it's not ugly per se but it's not pretty either). So if I introduce the Phantom into the mix where does it stand? It doesn't have those clean sharp edges that I love on the 650D but it is still pretty sexy.

Oh and I was looking at the rv02-E but it's likely going to be sitting to my right so I would like to have the window on the left (I know I'm picky) and it's too big to fit in the only place I could sit it to my left.
December 27, 2011 6:03:51 PM

nzxt cases are nice I had 2 different ones... but i can't personally speak for the phantom... I think it's ugly but haven't looked into the specs on it... check out the RV02-E though it's look isn't as gaudy as the rv03
December 27, 2011 6:13:51 PM

well cases isn't something to discuss, there are lots of them because people have different tastes and requirements, i saw my case and i just loves it xD, i bought and it is awesome, i'm using HAF 922, its a mid tower case.

I love the space, the backplate is big allowing to make a nice cable management, and the case allow me a great airflow.

Take a look in it too i love this design:
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6606
December 27, 2011 6:31:03 PM

ricardois said:
well cases isn't something to discuss, there are lots of them because people have different tastes and requirements, i saw my case and i just loves it xD, i bought and it is awesome, i'm using HAF 922, its a mid tower case.

I love the space, the backplate is big allowing to make a nice cable management, and the case allow me a great airflow.

Take a look in it too i love this design:
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6606

I looked into the HAF series as well when making my purchase... I like the specs, but for me it's an aesthetics thing... which is a personal decision... They do have great airflow and cable management from everything I've read though... If I were to buy a new case at this instant though it would either be a corsair 800d or a silverstone TJ-7 (would love a TJ-11 but I can't justify spending 600+ on a case) from an aesthetics stand point I do like the CM Cosmos series
December 27, 2011 7:47:35 PM

slhpss said:
nzxt cases are nice I had 2 different ones... but i can't personally speak for the phantom... I think it's ugly but haven't looked into the specs on it... check out the RV02-E though it's look isn't as gaudy as the rv03

Like I said the rv02-E looks pretty nice but the window is on the right side which in my set up kind of defeats the purpose of a window which is a requirement for me.

I looked at the HAF series as well and while they seem to have great cooling ability they look like big dump trucks to me.

I'm still stuck between the 650D and the rv03 but the Phantom is also an option now. I know n-dru said to consider the size of the GPU but if I go with the 650D I'll be removing one of the HD cages and moving the other one to the bottom mount closer to the PSU so I can put a megaflow in there. My only worry with the 650D is the cooling ability even with aftermarket fans. And even if it's good enough, then I'm looking at another 50+ dollars for fans and what not. The rv03 on the other hand comes stock with great cooling, I'm just not a huge fan of the looks.

The Phantom looks nicer than the rv03 (to me) but I don't know anything about it. Gonna watch some reviews on it and see what I think.
!