Psu for this tack

jag209

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hello everybody, my new pc will have i7 2600k @ 4.8 (turbo mode max) but running at 3.4 and 6970.

It currently has 750w corsair tx series psu, will that be enough. Also i want to play Napoleon tw and empire + shogun 2 on 23" monitor @ 1920 x 1200. want to play these games on ultra/v.high settings, would a 6870 suffice or do i need the 6970.

Thanks guys

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
The 750TX should be able to easily handle any single GPU setup.

The two games you listed both tend to be very, very CPU intensive, which shouldn't be a problem since you're looking at basically the fastest consumer processor ever made. A 6870 might work, but a 6970 would give you a lot more headroom. If you're getting an i7-2600K, though, I'd definitely get a 6970 in order to keep your rig balanced. A 6870 is much more suited to something like an i5-2500.

That's just my opinion, at least. :)

jag209

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Thank you so much for the quick reply :) would you stick to amd gpu or change to nvidia?

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Not a problem. :) That's a tough one... it depends on how much performance you want. I've always had good luck with AMD's graphics cards, although nVidia is every bit as good. It really depends more on your budget than it does the brand.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964.html
That should help quite a bit. Find your budget range and it makes the decision for you. A general rule I like to follow, though, is to put roughly the same amount into your graphics card as you do into your CPU, if it's going to be used as a gaming setup. I was going to ask this earlier, but is there any particular reason you chose the i7-2600K over the i5-2500K?

I retract what I said about the 6870 earlier - both of those processors will give you roughly the same gaming performance. I'd put the 6870 in the i3 range.

Just in case you didn't know, the only difference that I'm aware of between the i7-2600k and i5-2500k is the addition of Hyperthreading in the i7 series; it simulates two virtual cores for each physical core, making well-threaded (efficient use of multiple cores) programs, mostly productivity software like Photoshop, After Effects, 3D Modeling, and the likes, run quite a bit faster. Since most games barely use 3-4 cores, though, there is essentially no bonus to gaming performance with the addition of Hyperthreading. That would save you some money that could be spent elsewhere. :) I hope that was understandable...

jag209

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Yeah that made sense, i choose 2600k because the overclock options were faster, not like those games would ever use 4.8 ghz, i just suppose i wanted to get the best, the back of the games also say "runs well on i7" and i wanted to future proof.
I dont think ill get much more of a performance increase with the gtx 580, what do you think? Ive heard actually turning off Physx increases fps for total war games. I also get a free Shogun 2 with 6970, so dont think ill change. The 580 is £185 more too (thats not the 3 gb version either)

Thanks for all your help, really appreciated

jag209

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
those prices from the link you posted are CHEAP!! always the same in the uk, we pay dollar numbers, only in pounds for the price ive paid on this new system, i could have got two in the us :(

flippin taxes

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Heh, I know what you mean. We've got other problems over here in the US, though... :??:

Anyway, if you do have the budget, then by all means, go for an i7. The "runs well in i7" is just advertising, but either way, the i7-2600K is essentially the fastest processor you can buy right now, making it also one of the most future-proof.

I think I agree with the 6970 here. I've never really thought the 580 was worth it when the 6970 is that much cheaper and yet has easily enough power to give smooth performance on any single-monitor setup. The 580 seems tailored more for people who are running triple-monitor setups and need all the power they can possibly get.
Oh, and if you ever do need more power in the future, it would be really easy to buy a second 6970 for dual CrossFire - the 69xx series now gives the best multi-GPU scaling ever seen on a Radeon card. And I'm also pretty sure that a Corsair 750TX would be able to handle it, although it wouldn't leave a whole lot of headroom for overclocking. You'll have to put in a request asking how much of a power supply you'd need to run an overclockable i7-2600K + 6970 x2 system, as I'm honestly not all that savvy when it comes to power draw requirements.

TRENDING THREADS