Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer randomly shutting off

Last response: in Components
December 27, 2011 6:05:08 AM

Just built a new system. Everything brand new.

Specs:
Mobo - Asus m4a88t-m
Graphics Card - Radeon HD 6850
PSU - Cougar A560 560W
CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz
RAM - 2GBx2 Crucial
HDD - 500G Seagate Barracuda

My computer started shutting off seemingly when it was under some stress, like when I am playing games. I didn't hear any abnormal beeping or anything like that. When it does shut off I cannot turn it right back on. The CPU fan, fan on the graphics card, and the 2 fans that came with the case all turn on fine; as well as the lights on one of the fans attached to the case will come on but nothing will show up on screen. I usually have to give it a couple minutes before it will turn back on like normal. I don't think it is an overheating issue. I checked my CPU temperature when playing Modern Warfare 3 on all high and it never went above 40*C. It runs pretty cool at all times. Could it be a driver issue? Not enough power? Too much of a load on the CPU? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best solution

a c 92 U Graphics card
December 27, 2011 7:01:51 AM

I would guess its the psu dying.
December 27, 2011 7:22:14 AM

If it isn't heating up then your power supply has got to be the cause.
Score
Related resources
December 27, 2011 1:52:11 PM

Ok thanks. I'll mess with it and see if I can figure anything else out. Guess i'll try and switch out an old power supply.
Score
December 27, 2011 3:36:44 PM

esrever said:
I would guess its the psu dying.

So I turned my computer on earlier this morning. Surfed the internet for about half an hour then left it. Came back about 2-3 hours later and it had turned off. So now it has shut off without being under any stress at all. Could that still be the power supply going bad?
Score
December 27, 2011 4:53:20 PM

I have some more information that may help to figure this out. I've got it to where it will shut off every time I do this. I'll be playing MWF3 for roughly 5 minutes and it will shut down. I have a meter plugged into the piggy backed 6 pin PCI-E connector off of the power supply. When I'm playing the game and the computer is running fine it reads 12 volts and when the it shuts down the voltage drops to 11.5. Also the 5 volt reading I was getting from one of the spare connectors drops to 4.5. When this happens all of the fans and lights are still going. Then I unplugged the graphics card and the voltages jump back from 11.5 to 12 and from 4.5 to 5 and the computer comes back on. But when it does come back on it doesn't always start up.
Score
a c 92 U Graphics card
December 27, 2011 7:49:00 PM

have you tried removing the graphics card and see if it still crashes? Although its probably not the card, without it drawing power the psu will have less stress. But I think you should just take the psu to a shop to have it tested. If that doesn't work then then only other thing it could be would be the motherboard. The voltage differences are pretty normal.
Score
December 28, 2011 5:35:00 AM

esrever said:
have you tried removing the graphics card and see if it still crashes? Although its probably not the card, without it drawing power the psu will have less stress. But I think you should just take the psu to a shop to have it tested. If that doesn't work then then only other thing it could be would be the motherboard. The voltage differences are pretty normal.

I did try removing the graphics card and using onboard graphics but for some reason windows wouldn't load all the way like that. I swapped out the power supply with one I had in another computer and it runs like a champ. Going to send in my power supply and get a new working one hopefully. Thanks for the help.
Score
January 7, 2012 11:46:53 PM

Best answer selected by wak0219.
Score
!