RussK1

Splendid
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/301?vs=299

Thinking about CF'ing a couple 6950's(overkill I know) and been thinking with the extra weight, length, power consumption and extra price it's really not worth it when I could CF a couple 6870's... I know about the extra shaders and flashing the reference models(which I'm not interested in) and all but realistically, is the slight increase in performance a justification for buying 6950's? As you can see with the link there really isn't that much of a disparity between the two(great cards albeit) to make me 100% certain that two 6950's are really worth it.

Opinions?

Solution
There are a couple notable differences between the two architectures. The 6900 cards were re-engineered to perform better with AA and tessellation over the previous series, the 6800 cards were not. If that is important to you, then you'd likely want the 6900 cards.
There are a couple notable differences between the two architectures. The 6900 cards were re-engineered to perform better with AA and tessellation over the previous series, the 6800 cards were not. If that is important to you, then you'd likely want the 6900 cards.

Solution

RussK1

Splendid

Yeah I've done some reading that AMD improved scaling with the 6900 series cards over the previous generation... I'm just curious if the improvement is so great that there is a truly discerning factor that would unequivically make me choose one over the other. I am leading more to the 6900 side of the fence simply for the extra head room I just need something to show my girlfriend why it's worth spending the extra money. Women...

by the way, how do you like your CF'd 6950's??

RussK1

Splendid

I've pondered on the GTX's (560' & 570's) for some time, they're just power hungry and run really hot although I do like the fact they are a little smaller than the 6950's. The reason I'm into AMD's cards is the fact I'm accustomed to the interface of CCC and the fact that AMD's cards are both cooler and not quite as power hungry. I really don't advocate Best Buy but they have a contract with Nvidia that they have sole rights to their reference cards. If they offered the NVIDIA cards cheaper I would go that route... no MSI, no XFX, no Asus - Nvidia. But they're like a buck and a half more than say a regular MSI GTX 570 which is completely retarded. The Nvidia cards are sweet looking not to mention the fact not everyone has actual Nvidia cards. Anyway...

I'm going to get the 2GB 6950's... CompUSA still has the Visiontech reference cards for sale but I'm not planning on flashing them with the 6970's BIOS so that's probably a waste of time when I can get higher clocked cards.

Thank's for your time Bro....

Russ