Refresh rate of 80Hz or better

Lotusblossom

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello,
I have migraines and have been told by more than one doctor that I need to have the Refresh Rate of 80Hz or better to help prevent the triggering of a migraine. After about 30 minutes, I have a migraine and can not see. Please, tell me what to look for in purchasing a new Laptop. Thank you. Lotusblossom

LCDs don't flicker like the old CRT monitors did, the refresh rate on a LCD screen is irrelevant. You can set the refresh to anything you like, it will have no effect on what you see on the screen. Most all default to 60hz, and most will let you change this to a higher setting if you want, but as stated, it will have no effect on the screen.
If you had an old laptop, the screens were not very good, they were dim and fuzzy, and were pretty tough on your eyes. Newer laptops are much, much better. My suggestion is get one with a screen large enough and bright enough that you can see comfortably without having to strain.

+1 for above post. You are fine with any LCD (the flat displays). Only the older CRT displays (which are as deep as they are wide) had the flicker issues.

(p.s. I can't look at a CRT at less than 85 hertz either. Seems to be flickering to me.)

Lotusblossom

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

Thank you both. This is helpful. I have also been told that if I get one that has a good video card in it, this will also help, since these are devised for playing games/movies that require a faster rate.
I appreciate your answers. I got my computer (laptop) in February 2007, however, I found in the archive that it had actually been assembled in 2004. This was one of the first with the Lenovo name on it, since this division of IBM was purchased by a company in China. Your responses are much appreciated. I have been trying to find something that I can do from home and this computer is impossible to work very long at a time, certainly not suited for work. Lotusblossom