Three Monitors

footstool

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Hi,

I've been trying to get all three of my monitors to work, but I'm unsure how to do it. My research has led me to believe I need to purchase another GPU. My motherboard has an intergrated gpu on it, the problem is it disables when I put my own card in. Even if I can get it to detect, I'm not sure if it will be compatible with my card. If I buy another card, it will have to be pci e x1, since I only have one x16 slot.

Basically I'm just looking for some insight and solutions to this. I was considering upgrading my card, should I get a whole new one that supports three monitors or just buy a cheaper one that will fit into my pci e x1? Is there a way I can get it to detect without buying anything?

m/b : asus m4a78l-m
gpu: nvidia 240 gt

Thanks!

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
You cannot do this with your current setup. Unfortunately for you, the best solution is going to be getting an Eyefinity video card from ATI. ATI cards that support Eyefinity can support 3 monitors or more on a single card. Nvidia cards, in order to support more than 2 monitors, require two video cards. In your case, if you wanted to use the Nvidia solution, you'd need a whole new motherboard as you'd need two PCI-E 16x slots.

Also note, that your 3rd monitor (whichever it is, it doesn't really matter which one) will have to use an ACTIVE Displayport adapter (converting the DP port to whatever port your monitor uses, VGA, DVI, etc.).