Status
Not open for further replies.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Tom's Hardware did an article about this concept, namely extracting gold from old CPU chips.

Article

The final product was never purified to 99.99% pure gold since it would require more dangerous steps. Since I don't know the amount of gold present on each pin I'd say ~2500 pins.

This is an enormous waste or resources and expensive chemicals to do on a small scale and it causes problems for those who collect or have a real use for older cpus. You literally have to extract the base metals from several hundred to see any real profit from the money spent just getting everything.

hollywoodie

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Still no one has this info ?
i am asking how many pins from the bottom of a processor in weight factor only/ not how many processors / = 1 troy ounce of 99.9 % pure gold after refining. Dose anyone know of this information ?

You are wasting your time, it takes a lot to even have that much in just 14k gold let alone be close to 99.9%. The gold content is only a thin HGE coat so its stripped away very quickly. Most who do this aim for the cpus have that the gold cap ihs like the old pentium pro or cyrix m2. You are pretty much putting your own health at risk given how toxic the chemicals are.

Status
Not open for further replies.