SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Hello

I have the following configuration at present:

M/B: P5B-VM

CPU: Intel Core2Duo© E4300 1.8GHz

RAM: 3x1GB (Total 3GB) DDR2-667MHz (PC2 5300) RAM each having CL value 5-5-5-15

My Goal: Upgrade RAM by another 2GB, as I intend to upgrade to a 64bit OS.

My Question:
The following is written in the manual as "Notes on Memory Limitations" which I could not understand. I am quoting the text as follows:

"Due to memory limitation, this motherboard can only support up to 8GB on the operating system listed below. You may install a maximum of 2 GB DIMMs on each slot, but only DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 2GB density modules are available for this configuration.

32- bit
Windows© 2000 Advanced Server

64-bit
Windows© XP Professional x64 Edition"

Sorry, but I could not make anything out of it.

Does it mean that I can not install a DDR2-800 RAM module with my existing DDR2-667 RAM modules?

Moreover, is this limitation only applicable for the those two OSes mentioned?

On the other hand at the very beginning I can find the following written:

"You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single channel operation."

This seems to be in contradiction with the "memory Limitation note.

Please help me on this, it is really important for me to get this clear.

You can probably install a 2x2 gb set of the same speed ram and use two of your ram sticks for a total of 6 gb, which is plenty. Otherwise, look for a used set of 4 x 2 gb matching ram on craigslist and sell all your old ram to help pay for it. I've seen 8 gb of used ddr2 as low as $40.

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Thanks for the reply.
So in your opinion, I can not install a 2GB DIMM DDR2-800 MHz, with my present 3x1GB DIMMs?

You can try, but with three slots populated, you won't have dual channel mode, just single channel. I would look for your manual. It will tell you what your limitations are. Go to the motherboard manufacturer's website. If your board isn't listed, check the support or archives sections.

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Thanks again.

Would you please take a look at this RAM (DDR2-667 MHz, available in my country): http://www.flipkart.com/transcend-ddr2-2-gb-pc-ram-jm667qlu-2g/p/itmd2rypv7sfvds4?pid=RAMD2RYPU2YE2MPX&ref=898871bf-6a7d-4a8e-88a0-3d6335cf3b14

This mentions that it's CAS Latency is 3,4,5. Now I have downloaded the official Specification of this module (searching by the part number) and found that it is written there:
Programmable CAS LATENCY: 3,4,5

What does it mean by Programmable Cas Latency? Does it mean that I can program the CAS Latency according to my requirement?

In case you require please find the Specification sheet here: http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.transcendusa.com%2Fsupport%2Fdlcenter%2Fjetram%2Fproduct%2FPdf%2FJM667QLU-2G_09-2345_S.pdf&ei=xI95UNehAciIrAfuh4GABg&usg=AFQjCNEu-lhWm43aXrAWEAGwvAH0IG2jcQ&sig2=P_8vHXF93kghCtqv8EWLog

Please understand, it is very important for me to ascertain the compatibility of the above mentioned memory module. If the above module can work with y present one, that would take a lot of trouble off me as at present finding the DDR2 DIMMs in the market in our country is very hard (and pricey too).

Eagerly waiting for your reply

I may have used transend once; It's about average for performance and quality. http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5BVM/#MSL. 1 gb transend modules are on asus approved list, but no 2 gb. The most important information is whether you can mix a single 2 gb stick with two 1 gb sticks. Asus provides no ram chart with possible configurations. You'll just have to try it.

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Sadly, the QVL of ASUS P5B-VM does not have any 2GB module listed. So can I infer from that? On the other hand the manual clearly mentions that one can use different sized module and 2GB is maximum for each slot. :??:

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

I am sorry o1die, but I do not really understand your answer. Do you mean that the link I have posted for the Transcend RAM at Flipkart.com will be compatible with my present motherboard? If so, then what exactly is the meaning of the following (from the manual of motherboard)?

"This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 128Mb chips or double sided x16 memory modules."

Also please note that there are 4 slots for RAM on my MB, and only one is left. If I install another 2GB in the 4th slot, no slot will remain free.

Thank you again for your continuous support, it really means a lot to me.

2 gb sticks in the right configuration work fine. The potential problem is that asus didn't test your ram configuration so you can't verify it will work. You're trying to use 3 1 gb sticks with 1 2 gb stick. If you can't sell the 2 gb stick if it won't post, then stick with what you have. 64 bit operating systems aren't that much faster for everyday applications. For normal applications, I saw no performance increase going from 3 gb to 8 gb in 64 bit mode. If you're so tight on funds that you have no other options, I suggest you save for a brand new system and continue using what you have. Upgrading old setups piecemeal isn't your best option anyway. In the usa, microsoft is offering windows 8 upgrades for only $15 with a new pc purchase; new pcs at around $230 at frys. Too bad you can't take advantage of it instead of using old parts. Good luck.

SroyC

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009

Thank you so much for your support.
Well, I stumbled upon this: http://in.transcend-info.com/Support/Search/Compatibility.asp?Func1No=5&LangNo=0
As I entered respective values there, I found that the RAM I pointed you out to is being listed as working with my motherboard- it is tested by Transcend technicians, as reported by the page generated. So I think I can safely take that upgrade root and use the GB RAM.

I understand your point, but I do not think that there is any chance of getting a big upgrade in near future. The main reason is that I have invested heavily in my secondary profession (photography) and I mainly require the extra RAM and the little extra benefit of a 64 bit system mainly for Graphics editing. As you might know that these programs are very memory intensive.

Regarding the Win 8 upgrade, it is really a great offer, I sincerely wish that I could take advantage of it. :(
unfortunately, when these companies sell these products in our country the prices are too steep, more so when you compare the price of these products with the average earning.

Thanks again.