Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How long does it take mobile graphics to catch up to today's graphics?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2011 1:09:57 AM

I hope this isn't worded strange, but I was wondering where high end mobile graphics compare to desktops. Would you say high end mobile graphics match the high end of desktops two years ago? Most sites don't give a lot of good comparisons of mobile vs desktops.

I've got a gtx 295 2048MB that was top of the line two years ago. Can mobile graphics match that with the gtx 485m? 580m? Possibly 6990m? If the sandy bridge mobile cards have integrated video, does that somehow add to my dedicated graphics power?
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 1:34:10 AM

I will say no it has allot to do with the heat produced in a laptop. They have tiny heatsinks in laptops until heat is not an issue I doubt they will ever have really powerful gpus.
m
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 2:04:00 AM

Laptops are limited by size and power requirements. The dimensions of the laptop dictates the size of the heat sink. The battery can only hold so much power before it needs to be charged up again.

I remember seeing benchmarks for a Radeon Mobility HD 5850 which was somewhat comparable to a desktop HD 5770.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2011 2:13:32 AM

First off, I'm not really sure if this can fully answer your question or not, but I'll say it anyways. Mobile graphics cards are usually one tier or level below their desktop one with the same name. For example, a mobile 6770 performs at the level of a desktop 6670. This isn't exact, but it's a pretty good measure for their power.

Secondly, the Intel HD graphics integrated into the processor provides absolutely no additional power if you are using a dedicated card. The new line of AMD processors allow this, but not intel. If there is not dedicated card, the integrated one is your only graphics card. There is also a technology by Nvidia called "Optimus" that is used on laptops that have both integrated graphics and dedicated gpu's. This allows demanding programs, such as games, use the dedicated gpu, while browsing the web/on desktop the integrated card will be used to save power.
July 27, 2011 6:15:45 AM

Thanks guys, I pretty much got my answer. I guess mobile graphics power today is a bit more powerful than what I got on my desktop right now.
m
l
July 27, 2011 6:16:57 AM

Best answer selected by Sakaragi.
m
l
!