Sign in with
Your question

Web browser limited to 100Mbits/sec download speed

Last response: in Networking
November 4, 2010 3:20:11 PM

Hi,

I have a working debian web server with a 1gigabit network connection.

It is serving this speed fine to any linux box, i.e. a web browser in a linux enviornment downloads at 1000Mbits/sec, but when I try this from any windows box it maxes out at 10.4MBytes per sec i.e. approx 100Mbits/sec.

I have tested 2 identical windows xp boxes via cross-over and they transfer at 1gigabit with no issues(although I did not test via a web browser, just file sharing).

I removed both the debian server and windows box from the network and used a crossover cable between them, but still stuck at 100Mbits/s. I am using the latest network drivers avaialble for the windows xp box.

But here is the reason why I think it might be web browser related:

I subsequently installed a samba server to the debian webserver. Then, from the windows box, I mounted a folder using "map network drive" and xp transfers from this mapped folder to its desktop at 1gigabit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
November 4, 2010 5:50:10 PM

The XP boxes are connecting into a switch or so that has gigabit access to the debian server?

Set the NICs on the WinXP computers to 1000/full (Device Manager) and check it out again.
m
l
November 5, 2010 1:14:52 PM

There may be something with the auto negotiation of the network cards between the 2 systems. See riser's suggestion to set the NICs manually.
m
l
!