Overclock Failed

Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2011 10:19:04 AM

Specs:
i5 2500k
Asus P867 LE Rev 3.0 Motherboard
8gb g skill ram
560 GTX TI

Ok so basically for about a week now I have been running my CPU at 4.3 steadily. Temps idle at about 40c and when I stream/game it goes up to 48c-52c, nothing too bad. Here is the story. I was messing around with my stream settings and all of a sudden a black screen appears and says "Overclock Failed." So it restarted my computer and I went into BIOS and changed it back to default. Now my computer shows nothing on my monitor. It just turns on and nothing happens.

On the other note when I opened my computer I had noticed that the power cable to my HD was halfway off for whatever reason. It has happened before but there were no problems. I honestly don't know how it keeps unhooking its self but it has never caused any problems. Though in my mind I was thinking, "Crap, maybe my computer shorted out." But that can't be the case because the GPU, Motherboard, LEDS and Fans that are connected to the motherboard turn on. I also tried switching out my GTX 560 for my 9800 GT and nothing appears on my screen still.

Can anyone help?
Did my CPU fry or something?

More about : overclock failed

December 27, 2011 11:10:32 AM

Reset the Jumper on the motherboard.
December 27, 2011 8:18:08 PM

I have tried. I so taken out the CMOS battery to see if that did anything and still noting appears on the screen.
Related resources
December 27, 2011 9:13:59 PM

I would try the othe pice slot on your board and make sure that the bios is set to use the correct pcie slot for graphics when it boots up.

Otherwise I would make sure that you are getting good power via the extra power cables to your graphics card. I forgot to plug in the extra power cables for my 6950 once and the pc powered on and the graphics card fans started spinning but there was no video. So fist double check that they are plugged but if you have a multimeter check if you are getting enough power from them and they aren't sagging.

If you want to rule out your card as the problem see if you can install it on another rig or a friends rig. If your card is good then I would bet that it is a power issue and you should see if you can get your hands on another power supply to test with.
December 27, 2011 9:30:57 PM

I can't get into the BIOS to begin with. There is nothing on my screen. I don't think it is my card because I switched cards and still nothing appears on my screen (yes the screen is on).
December 27, 2011 9:49:18 PM

What power supply do you have and have you tested it out with a multimeter?
December 27, 2011 10:04:57 PM

I have a Corsair 750watt PSU. And I dont have a multimeter.
December 28, 2011 12:59:53 AM

igrease said:
I have a Corsair 750watt PSU. And I dont have a multimeter.

I reckon the CPU is fried because of the volts.
a c 116 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 1:10:52 AM

try the dead cpu test... it used to be a standard test in the shop. turn off the pc completely at the wall.

turn on the monitor, and wait for no signal and time it till it goes into standby.
now turn the monitor of and on again.
wait till you see no signal and as soon as you see it turn the pc on.
if the monitor takes the normal amount of time to go into standby then the cpu is ok.
if the monitor immediately jumps into standby b4 it should and pretty much as you hit power on on the pc. the cpu is dead.

now this is an old school test. that worked on everything up to a core 2 duo. i haven't seen a i7 fail so i haven't had reason to test this on 1 to see if it still works. so your input on the results will help me and others so please post back with the result...
December 28, 2011 2:46:31 AM

HEXiT said:
try the dead cpu test... it used to be a standard test in the shop. turn off the pc completely at the wall.

turn on the monitor, and wait for no signal and time it till it goes into standby.
now turn the monitor of and on again.
wait till you see no signal and as soon as you see it turn the pc on.
if the monitor takes the normal amount of time to go into standby then the cpu is ok.
if the monitor immediately jumps into standby b4 it should and pretty much as you hit power on on the pc. the cpu is dead.

now this is an old school test. that worked on everything up to a core 2 duo. i haven't seen a i7 fail so i haven't had reason to test this on 1 to see if it still works. so your input on the results will help me and others so please post back with the result...

Turned monitor on and after a few seconds it went into power saving mode.
Turned it back off and then on. Waited till it said its going into power saving mode.
Turned the PC on.
Nothing happens.
December 28, 2011 4:33:58 AM

The power supply is more likely to fail or blow a fuse than the CPU is to overvolt. That being said you should post the specs of your overlock from right before the fail. Particularly what voltage you wer using, hopefully you wrote it down somewhere in the corse of your overclock.
December 28, 2011 5:03:03 AM

j2j663 said:
The power supply is more likely to fail or blow a fuse than the CPU is to overvolt. That being said you should post the specs of your overlock from right before the fail. Particularly what voltage you wer using, hopefully you wrote it down somewhere in the corse of your overclock.

I do not know the voltage just the overclock which was @ 4.3. All I did was set it to Asus Optimal in the BIOS.
December 28, 2011 11:12:28 AM

igrease said:
I do not know the voltage just the overclock which was @ 4.3. All I did was set it to Asus Optimal in the BIOS.

You need to do one of two things. Either borrow another PSU and CPU that fits that socket. (Reset the Cmos jumper again just to be sure)

;) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 11:35:38 AM

If you were set on Asus optimal it won't typically exceed 1.35V. Sounds more like a possible PSU problem, there seems to be a rash of bad Corsair TX750's lately (myself included).
December 28, 2011 7:43:20 PM

Well I do have a 500watt PSU, do you think that is enough to power a 560ti and i5 2500k? Or should I just test it with my 9800 GT?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 28, 2011 8:09:46 PM

500W PSU is all that is required for that combo, so you should be fine.
December 29, 2011 12:15:18 AM

Alright put the other PSU in the PC and pretty much all the LEDS, FANS, GPU, etc start up. Still nothing on the screen. It isn't the GPU cause I just had it in my other PC and it worked fine.

Guess I am just going to have to RMA the CPU and Motherboard.

Yes I have tried to do the Jumper thing and I also took the CMOS battery out and still nothing on the screen.
December 29, 2011 2:56:56 AM

Well I would say you have a bit more trouble shooting that you can do, namely tell us if you hear any beeps from your motherboard going through POST. Usually one short one means that everything is fine, and if there is anything other than that then you can look up the code online. Just make sure that you have the speaker installed on the motherboard or that it has one built in. I don't think your motherboard has any LEDs to check but if it does then you can use those too.
December 29, 2011 4:42:49 AM

j2j663 said:
Well I would say you have a bit more trouble shooting that you can do, namely tell us if you hear any beeps from your motherboard going through POST. Usually one short one means that everything is fine, and if there is anything other than that then you can look up the code online. Just make sure that you have the speaker installed on the motherboard or that it has one built in. I don't think your motherboard has any LEDs to check but if it does then you can use those too.

My motherboard has never made any sounds when booting up. And there is no cord to connect to an onboard speaker.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2011 1:34:30 PM

Check with a local PC repair shop, a lot of them will just give you a system speaker for free (they'll have a ton of extras sitting around since they come with MB's). Even if you have to buy it it should be less than $5.00.
December 29, 2011 11:57:18 PM

yeah you are going to want to get a motherboard speaker. It will probably plug in where the power/reset button on the front of your case plugs into your motherboard. At times like this they are very handy because the BIOS will detect a lot of hardware problems.
!