Best Non-Gaming PC Build

OgreMkV

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello,

I'd like some advice and some recommendations for products.

I have a budget of around $800 (maybe up to a $1000). I have a brand new (2 month old) 1 Terabyte Seagate drive that I can scavenge from my current system. I also have a brand new 24" HD (1920x1080) and my peripherals are all fine.

I do not need a gaming system. All I need for video is HD quality on my monitor. What I do need is raw computing power. I probably won't be able to afford the new chips from Intel and AMD, so I might wait for a bit until those chip prices come down slightly (unless they are so amazing that there's no point in buying an i5 of whatever).

I definitely need a new case and I really need one with a filter.

I don't think I'll be overclocking much if any. I need this machine to last for several years (my current machine is an Athlon 4000+ at 2.4 Ghz).

I'd definitely like room to grow on the mb. I'd like SATA3 and I'd really like a SSD. I've seen some for $1/gig so I think that would be doable.

If anyone has any products that they recommend, I'd appreciate it.

grafxfx

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Ogre,
Tom's site already has a pretty good setup for a $1,000 build (under the System Builder link, silver medal $1,000 build). In your selection you save the $$ by not needing the WD HDD (since you have a 1TB already) and may want to go down to 1 video card. This will save you about $225 off the bottom line. Now, you can either take that $225 and get more RAM (system is spec'd with 4GB) and move up to the i7-2600K or just spend less on the system (down to about $800 - your initial budget).
The new Intel CPUs are due to come out soon (October to November). This will cause the current price of the i7-2600K to drop (maybe up to $100). So if you can wait you can pocket a little more savings, or enhance your rig for the same amount of money. Maybe get the i7-2600K with a water cooler setup from Corsair (about $110). Then you can OC that 2600K and get your "more raw computing power".
The choice is yours. There are many options and possibilities out there.
grafxfx :hello:

OgreMkV

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

Thanks.

"There are many options and possibilities out there" is the whole problem. I've been reading what I can, but I'm just not up on this stuff as I was in my 20s.

I rarely see even a powerhouse PC with more than 8gigs RAM... is there a reason for that? With memory so cheap...

I don't guess I need to worry about crossfire or SLI, but...

Geez, I'm starting to sound like my dad. When the heck did I get old??!?!? OK, I've got to dive back into geekdom.

Thanks again.