Help with last few parts for custom built PC!

Kn3wB

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello I'm basically trying to build a high end computer from scratch basically (think I can salvage from my old optical DVD drives/mouse/keyboard/headset and I have an awesome monitor already!!).

Background/Needs: I'm a hardcore gamer, but I also like to run on a longer upgrade cycle than most(my computer needs to last 5yr at least). I will play my computer at bare minimums in it's later years for as long as possible until the games I want to play just don't run period (below minimum specs)...I've done this successfully in the past and I'm just barely short or too close to be comfortable for diablo 3 and I also have my eye on some upcoming FPShooters.

Reservations:
-I DON'T OVERCLOCK anything...but I might do it in the 4th/5th year if I am forced to do so. (However I think I'm going to use 1600MHz RAM rather than the listed "Memory Specifications of 1333/1060 for i7/i5 processors...I've read it's not actually 'overclocking' per se, just have to change the speed to the correct 1600MHz in BIOS, because the Motherboard&RAM I'm buying supports the 1600MHz.)
-I want Intel, not AMD.
-I like ASUS Motherboards and EVGA GeForce video cards...those have been home runs for me in the past!
-I'm waiting awhile before I worry about getting a Solid State Drive and Hard Drives are easy to replace/upgrade later...compared to other parts

CURRENTLY PLAN TO BUY:

MOBO- $200 ASUS Sabertooth P67 (5yr warranty, super durable/quality) [Better than ASUS P8Z68-V Pro??? same price]
CPU- $315 Intel Core i7-2600K (hoping it has more longevity in terms of gaming down the road than the i5-2500K)
GPU- $330 EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280mb
RAM- $110 G.SKill Ripjaw Series 16GB(4x4gb) 1600MHz (PC3 12800) CL: 9, 1.5v, 9-9-9-24-2N timing
HDD- $55 Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB, 7200rpm, 64mb cache, SATA 6.0gb/s -Bare Drive
OS- $100 Windows 7 Home Premium

Current Total: $1110 +shipping/tax(California)...(plus a few instant savings/rebates that I didn't include)

Others I considered, non-Front runners:
-ASUS P8Z68-V Pro $200 (3yr warranty; doesn't seem like I was actually missing out on anything important)
-Intel Core i7-2500K $220 ($95 cheaper, but hoping the extra money for the i7 gives another 6+ months longevity for gaming)
-EVGA GeForce GTX 560-Ti FPB 1GB $250 (again hoping the extra $80 translates into longer before being obsolete)

Are any of my assumptions incorrect? Or do you guys think some of these would actually be better for my build? Taking into account my Needs/Reservations... Thanks!

I NEED HELP deciding on the following!!:

-CPU Fan/Heatsink!!! (need my stuff to run at safe temperatures at all times!)

-CASE!!! (old/big Antec tower is like 10yr(?) old or something, as standard/basic looking as you can get I think...was like $130 I think.)
*Basically I want a big/spacious tower that I can use for the next 10+ years...most important feature is keeping all the components inside SAFE and running COOL...dislike filmsy plastic, and water cooling...hoping for good airflow/fan action if possible. Let me know what is best/possible, prefferably under $200, but something worthy of the components I'm putting inside basically. Open to suggestions! Coolmaster, Antec, etc..??

-MISC Cooling??? What additional fans do you suggest for the case? External Cooling Devices? Anything?

-Power Supply...how many Watts are needed for all this stuff and how many watts should I actually purchase? Brands etc?

-MISC Stuff that I'm forgetting? (Planning on using onboard sound/internet)

-Or if you had something completely different in mind on any component that you think fits my Needs/Reservations and I didn't mention

THANK You all to anybody who responds and offers insight!! If you actually read all this stuff and try to help me out I will be GREATFUL! :wahoo:

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
MOBO- $200 ASUS Sabertooth P67 (5yr warranty, super durable/quality) [Better than ASUS P8Z68-V Pro??? same price]
CPU- $315 Intel Core i7-2600K (hoping it has more longevity in terms of gaming down the road than the i5-2500K)
GPU- $330 EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280mb
RAM- $110 G.SKill Ripjaw Series 16GB(4x4gb) 1600MHz (PC3 12800) CL: 9, 1.5v, 9-9-9-24-2N timing
HDD- $55 Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB, 7200rpm, 64mb cache, SATA 6.0gb/s -Bare Drive
OS- $100 Windows 7 Home Premium
It's hard to guess if the i7 will offer anything over the i5, it depends wether or not games will use more than 4 threads significantly in 4-5 years, currently there is pretty much no improvement between 3 and 4 cores, and many games only use one or two cores. I would probably save the money and opt for the i5 myself.
It seems to me, that the GTX 570 might become a problem long before either of those CPU's. But then you say you are fine with minimum settings, so it might be ok.

As for Fan/Heatsink, the standard one from intel should be fine in a decend case. That is, if you do not wish to overclock. Otherwise, something like the coolermaster hyper 212+ is good for its price.

As for a long term case, I have been looking alot at the raven rv02E myself. Sure the rv03 is out, but there has been som design changes i disaprove of. And the rv02 has proven to be very silent (yet with good airflow, also with fans on low). Importantly, the raven cases are dustfiltered and have positive airflow. That will help keep things cool if using the same components for a long time.

PSU:
a 5-600watt PSU from one of the good brands should do nicely. (this list gives an indication which brands and models are good: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx )

That sabertooth motherboard looks the part, but that "thermal shield" isn't always an advantage for cooling. But it should not matter with good airflow.

EDIT: this raven: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163173

your build is nuts

the 2600K is an unlocked cpu for overclocking yet you dont OC

the chances of a game needing 16 gig of RAM in 5 years time are very remote . 4 gig is plenty right now if all you are doing is gaming .

Come to think of it your build schedule is nuts too .
Spend less now and save some money for an upgrade in a couple of years and then in 5 years time you wont be playing at minimum detail and you will have paid about the same

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I'll have to agree with Outlander on that. You could buy a computer with a nice upgrade path now. And by upgrading as you go along, you could still be rocking med-high settings in 5 years. (my current setup is like that, or was untill a year ago perhaps)
You could also do a ~650usd build now and do another such every 3 years. That will be less money per year than what you suggest here, but still give good results in 5 years aswell as now.
If, for whatever reason, you insist on a 5-year schedule, I stand by my earlier suggestions, although 8gigs of RAM will probably be plenty, many games benefit little beyond 3gb as it is.

Kn3wB

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
To address some of your guys thoughts on cheaper/better to upgrade every 3 years....I personally HATE upgrading my computer I find it to be a huge pain in the butt and it basically makes my life miserable for the week it takes me to decide what to buy and causes stress for at least a month before I actually decide to go through the hassle again. So only have to go through this every 5 years might mean I'm on minimum settings near the later half but I don't mind...doesn't stop me from having fun at all.

--------------------------------------------

I decided to finally go ahead and submit my purchase today(the 4-day marathon hunt is finally done!)! I ended putting together and building the following machine, after considering insight/advice I received from you guys here and from a few other sources I ended up with this machine:

I have one last really important question!!!:
Do I need to buy/replace any/all the fans in the Cool Master HAF 932 Advanced in your guys opinion? or are all the stock fans capable for my situation?? Thanks

-I wont be overclocking anything for at least 3 years...due to having to use stock cpu fan during that time.
-I wont be changing the i5-2500K stock CPU fan...it voids 3yr warranty, but was told it's sufficient for non-OC's anyways...

(not going fully into detail here, but if your curious about a specific item I bought these all from newegg at these prices.)

Case- $160 Cool Master HAF 932 Advanced
PSU- $135 Corsair Enthusiast Series 850W
MOBO- $200 ASUS Sabertooth P67
CPU- $220 Intel Core i5-2500K
GPU- $330 EVGA GeForce GTX 570
HDD- $55 Western Digital Caviar Black[750gb, SATA 6.0gb/s, 7200rpm, 64mb cache] (I know I could have gone to 1TB or higher at a fair price, but it's plenty for me)
RAM- $140 G. Skill Ripjaw Series 16GB (4gbx4) [Dual Channel 1600MHz (PC3 12800), 1.5v, CL:8, 8-8-8-24 Timings] (bought two 4gbx2 packs at $70 each, might be overkill but if a pair goes bad I still have 8gb to continue gaming while waiting for RMA)
OS- Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM $100

I also got a $7 mouse!! heh

GRAND TOTAL: $1445 (after California tax + 3day UPS shipping + rush processing)

I also have like another $50 off in mail-in rebates/promo code instant savings(which I didn't include, because it's easier for you to find it with the prices I listed)...also a free batman game and 2 free memory cards or something(didn't influence the purchase...)

FUTURE PLANNED UPGRADES: After 3 years have passed and the 3yr warranty is gone from the i5-2500K I will get an after-market CPU Fan/Heatsink if I end up having to overclock it to keep myself playing games in years to come. Also I can potential add a 2nd GTX 570 if needed. Doubt I will need a bigger storage HDD, but a SSD when they are better/cheaper is a possibility.

THANK YOU ALL who contributed to my efforts and added your insight! I looked and compared and researched all the parts mentioned and even if I didn't go with what was suggestioned it still ultimately helped me decide on this configuration!!!

Let me know what you think of how I did overall...be honest, I can take it!!

g-unit1111

Titan
For cases check some of these out:

Cooler Master HAF 932 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160
NZXT Phantom - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068
Antec Lanboy Air - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129091
Corsair Carbide 400R - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008
Corsair Obsidian 650D - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139006

I'd also suggest the Cooler Master Cosmos S but it looks like it's been discontinued.