Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Asus Maximus V Gene PCIe bandwith queries

Last response: in Motherboards
October 13, 2012 5:40:50 PM

I am planing to upgrade from my Asus P8B75-M to Asus Maximus V Gene, and was wondering when I read in the specs that in case of crossfire/sli the bandwith will go down to 8x each and if I am using only 1 card the bandwith will remain at 16x, so what I want to know is that will a crossfire in the maximus decrease my GPU performance because paying for a new board and getting a new card and ending up with bad graphics and frame rates isnt what I want. P.S-I already own an AMD sapphire HD 7770 and was planning on buying a second, so if there is a board which can perform the best for crossfire at the maximus price and give good bandwidth please reply and yeah my eyes are only fixed onto asus and asrock boards so please dont recommend boards from any other comapany.
October 13, 2012 6:22:12 PM

;you fail to mention which processor you are running....ivb? sb?.....

either way, a card like 7770 does not saturate an 8x pcie lane nearly enough to worry about any framerate losses....none would be suffered with those cards and that motherboard...

truth be told, you would have a hard time using up all of the available bandwidth (of 8xpcie)with 2x 690 quad sli....

if you could afford it a better option would be to spend the upgrade cash all on a 7950 or a gtx 670..

unless it's the overclocking you're also after
m
l

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 13, 2012 6:23:51 PM

The thing you have to realize is that currently there are no video cards that will saturate the bandwith of the Pci-e 2.0 slot. So a video card running on a Pci-e slot that is x8 is still going to give the full performance of the card and if there is any decrease in performance it would be less then 5%. By using two video cards in SLI/Crossfire you will more than compensate for that 5% because the fps you'll be getting will be high enough to not notice. Anything ver 60fps is not noticeable and the only benefit to having more than 60fps is when you encounter large groups of players in a map or a lot of action with explosions and smoke, there will be less noticable drop off in fps. Those situations will drop the fps and the higher the fps the less noticeable it is and there will be no freezing or stuttering of the picture.
If your looking to get a board with two x16 slots then you will be paying more for that.

ASRock Z77 Extreme9 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$349.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I wouldn't be paying that much for a board just to get two x16 slots that have 16 lanes of bandwith each.
The trouble with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge is the amount of bandwith lane that are available and they each have 16 lanes available and the only reason that the Asrock board has two x16 slots is because the other slots drop down to 0 when you put two video cards in slots 1 and 3 and that uses up all 16 lanes.
The Sandy Bridge -E is a different story in that there are 40 lanes of bandwith available and most of the X-79 chipset boards have multiple x16 slots.
So you will be just fine with the Maximus V Gene board.

Related resources
October 13, 2012 6:49:48 PM

inzone said:
The thing you have to realize is that currently there are no video cards that will saturate the bandwith of the Pci-e 2.0 slot. So a video card running on a Pci-e slot that is x8 is still going to give the full performance of the card and if there is any decrease in performance it would be less then 5%. By using two video cards in SLI/Crossfire you will more than compensate for that 5% because the fps you'll be getting will be high enough to not notice. Anything ver 60fps is not noticeable and the only benefit to having more than 60fps is when you encounter large groups of players in a map or a lot of action with explosions and smoke, there will be less noticable drop off in fps. Those situations will drop the fps and the higher the fps the less noticeable it is and there will be no freezing or stuttering of the picture.
If your looking to get a board with two x16 slots then you will be paying more for that.

ASRock Z77 Extreme9 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$349.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I wouldn't be paying that much for a board just to get two x16 slots that have 16 lanes of bandwith each.
The trouble with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge is the amount of bandwith lane that are available and they each have 16 lanes available and the only reason that the Asrock board has two x16 slots is because the other slots drop down to 0 when you put two video cards in slots 1 and 3 and that uses up all 16 lanes.
The Sandy Bridge -E is a different story in that there are 40 lanes of bandwith available and most of the X-79 chipset boards have multiple x16 slots.
So you will be just fine with the Maximus V Gene board.
Great! just what I needed and my processor is i5 2500, might upgrade to an i7 ivy bridge in the near future.
m
l
October 13, 2012 6:51:13 PM

Best answer selected by abizer14.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 180 V Motherboard
October 13, 2012 11:44:40 PM

I'm not sure that I would go from an i5-2500k to a i5-3570k , that's not really an upgrade and the 2500k will overclock better. If you went with the 3770k then your going from an i5 to an i7 and it would be somewhat of an upgrade.
You may want to consider waithing for the Haswell cpu, coming out sometine in 2013.
m
l
!