ericmlaing

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I built my rig a few years ago; E7400 (2.8, have overclocked it, but running stock as of late), P5QE MB, 4GB...
The entire time I have had it my (via CPUID and Core Temp) cores have always been 38/36 @ idle, when I run prime95 usually by the 2nd round of it doing its thing the temps would be high 40s now, when I rebuilt it (took everything apart, cleaned it all, some better cable management etc etc) I also replaced my CPU cooler (picked up a newer ThermalTake to replace my older ThermalTake as it was getting a bit noisy) so repaste I go and now, my cores are still 38/36 idle, my CPUTIN is (right now) 17 when I run prime95 now, usually around the 4th round my CPUTIN is just touching 40 and my cores are flipping between 39 & 40. I didn't remove any chips or anything when I rebuilt it just kind of scares me that maybe my winbond isn't "working" right but all other data from it seems fine... ?!?

ericmlaing

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Old cooler was a ThermalTake with the paste that ships with the Intel CPU... new cooler is a ThermalTake with the "generic" paste I bought for a bunch of chips (not the fancy Arctic silver stuff or whatever)
Is there anyway to check my winbond chip cuz right now it's showing my CPUTIN as 11oC :D

I was hoping for model numbers tbh :p
Winbond should be your bios chip temp,
no worries if thats low temp, the only temps to watch are the cpu ones and gpu, unless you know what sensors is actually where of course (If you installed aftermarket sensors, you'd know where you put them obviously)
I'd just give the new paste time to settle in and not worry unless temps are excessively high on idle
Moto
Moto