Sign in with
Your question

AM3 on weird AM2 mobo

Last response: in Motherboards
October 13, 2012 8:59:38 PM

So my friend has an emachines et1331g-03w. The mobo is an ECS MCP61PM-GM. It's DDR2 with an nforce430 (I think, don't quote me on the chipset.) I.. really don't have much experience with AM3 on AM2's support. I believe the mobo has a TDP limit on the CPU of 89w, but sites seem to be giving mixed answers. Right now, I've told him to get a corsair CX430 and a 550ti. (Not a 7750 because I'm not sure what PCI-E version he has, with the 1.0 & 2.0 issues with 3.0 GPUs, so if you could confirm that either way it'd be nice) And since his CPU might be bottlenecking them, maybe in the future he could upgrade his CPU. Now, he is very money tight and the only games he is looking at playing are CS:GO, minecraft, and he's thinking about BF3, so building a new computer isn't really necessary. And with what he's coming from, native res and lowest settings would look godly. The CPU I've found that I THINK will work is this one. I'm assuming already that a Phenom ii won't work. And it'll stress the psu.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
But if there's a better one or that one won't work, I'm all ears.

More about : am3 weird am2 mobo

October 14, 2012 1:32:01 PM

shameless second page bump .-.
m
l
Related resources
October 14, 2012 2:54:07 PM

It doesn't make any sense. The processor that came with the computer isn't on that list. He has an AMD Athlon II X2 235e, and that isn't under the list on that link.

What I get for dealing with Gateway?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2012 8:28:22 PM

It says the board supports the Athlon X2 series, which is what you have, right? However, it says nothing about supporting quad core processors. Also, there only a few higher end AM2 boards that ever added upgrade support for AM3 processors. You had to go up the next level to the AM2+ boards for most all practical purposes. Long story short, its very likely you will be limited to an upgrade of the same processor, unfortunately. I could be wrong, but I don't think so in this case.
m
l
!