Old PS, new components?

ox1574

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
I am looking to upgrade my current rig. I have an Enermax Liberty 620W PS and I am wondering if that is going to get my by with my new build. I am planning on getting an i5-2500K proc, not sure on MB yet, 8GB ram, and possibly 2 video cards, I will also be OC'ing. Do you guys think I can re-purpose that PS, or will I need a newer/bigger one?

Thanks

Solution
It would be OK for now if you start off with one video card, or if you're going to use two 6850s. For more power hungry setups though I would say get a new PSU. It's up to you though :D. That PSU can distribute 36A (432W) across it's two 12v rails (according to the label at least) so I suppose you could run two 6950s or 560Tis, but I think that would be pushing the PSU and considering it's already a bit aged you're taking your chances and at the least shortening it's life span ^_^
It would be OK for now if you start off with one video card, or if you're going to use two 6850s. For more power hungry setups though I would say get a new PSU. It's up to you though :D. That PSU can distribute 36A (432W) across it's two 12v rails (according to the label at least) so I suppose you could run two 6950s or 560Tis, but I think that would be pushing the PSU and considering it's already a bit aged you're taking your chances and at the least shortening it's life span ^_^

Solution

That's actually a quality unit, but it seems to have enough complaints that I think it suffered from attention to detail during assembly. Of course, if that was the case with his unit it should have blown up by now :p