Need help deleting second installation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hello forums, I need some help. I have 2 hard drives, and my main hard drive has now become my secondary. I have managed to delete almost everything on the drive, except three mischievous undeleteable files. There is $RECYCLE.BIN, a folder called Boot with BCD and BCD.LOG which are to my efforts undeletable, and a folder calls System Volume Information, which seems to replicate itself each time I delete it. How can I delete these files? I have tried formatting, however windows will not let me format. Taking ownership does nothing to them. When I try to delete BCD or BCD.LOG: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in System."

Specs:

CPU: Intel i5-2500k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 LE
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb DDR3 Desktop Memory Kit (1600Mhz, 1.5v)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
Video Card: PNY GTX560 Ti
Power Supply: Corsair TX750
Hard Drive: Western Digital 1TB HDD
Hard Drive 2: Western Digital 500GB HDD
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Other Parts: D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Network Card

Solution
Click on the start orb, type in or copy/paste disk management and press enter. this will bring up the drive configuration snap in. Look at the drives. There is likely to be a partition of either 100 MB or 200 MB and be marked as reserved. This will most likely be the original HD in your computer, also labeled as Disk 0, unless you have changed cabling or jumpers. This disk will contain the MBR - Master Boot Record. I am going to jump to the conclusion that what you have done is to install a second installation of windows 7 to the second hard disk then used the second installation to move or delete the files from the first. With this assumption I'll say that the windows installer will keep all information about all installations in one...

hydroment

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Click on the start orb, type in or copy/paste disk management and press enter. this will bring up the drive configuration snap in. Look at the drives. There is likely to be a partition of either 100 MB or 200 MB and be marked as reserved. This will most likely be the original HD in your computer, also labeled as Disk 0, unless you have changed cabling or jumpers. This disk will contain the MBR - Master Boot Record. I am going to jump to the conclusion that what you have done is to install a second installation of windows 7 to the second hard disk then used the second installation to move or delete the files from the first. With this assumption I'll say that the windows installer will keep all information about all installations in one tidy location. You guessed it. The Boot folder. Since it contains the information needed to boot into the current OS, you are not allowed to touch it.

What you will have to do is boot the system using a live cd that totally disregards the MBR and the Boot, BCD etc. Using this, can manipulate the hard drives in any way you see fit. >>>---- ONCE YOU DELETE THE BOOT FOLDER OR FORMAT THE DRIVE ----<<< you will not be able to boot into windows. Sorry. You may need to change the active and boot flags on the appropriate disks. You will then have to use the repair utility that is on the win 7 installation disk. Boot the Windows installation disk and choose repair my computer. follow the steps from there. I have had instances where it could not get it right. What I did then is make sure my drives are found in the order I want them (controller 0,1 and master/slave) don't use the CS jumper setting here. It may not give the desired order. Now another installation of windows. This time install it to the second (old) drive. The new MBR will be written to the first HD. Again be sure to set the active and boot flags to the first (new) disk and not the second. Once the second installation is completed, restart the computer. This time you should have 2 choices at the initial windows boot screen. Choose the second option (they will both read as Windows 7) The most recent installation is by default at the top of the list. Once booted into the OS you want to keep, you should be able to format the second disk. Next, a little cleanup. Click on the start orb and type or copy/paste system configuration, and hit enter. Click on the boot tab. Select the OS listing that does not read 'Current'. Click delete. Restart the computer. It will continue on its own to the login screen or your desktop, depending on your configuration.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.