Z77 Pro4-M micro ATX - which order to install drivers?

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I just got a Z77 Pro4-M and I will be starting my build today or tomorrow. I have downloaded all the drivers, utilities and BIOS zipped files from the ASRock website. I would appreciate any advice on which drivers and utilities to install and in what order. I know the INF (chipset) should be first but not sure about the rest of the sequence.

System is non-gaming. No discrete GPU yet -- will be using the i5 3570K's built in HD 4000 graphics. I especially would not like to install any more of the ASRock utilities than are necessary or would be useful. Rest of system build parts are in signature. TIA for replies.

DRIVERS
Audio -- Realtek high definition audio driver ver:R2.66

CIR -- CIR receiver driver ver:20110219 - I don't have a remote

INF -- INF (chipset) driver ver:9.3.0.1019 - my bracket

Intel -- Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.3.1427

Intel -- Intel Rapid Start driver ver:1.0.0.1021

Intel -- Intel Smart Connect driver ver:2.0.1083.0

Lan -- Realtek Lan driver ver:7048

Other -- AppCharger ver:1.0.5

Other -- Lucid Virtu MVP ver:2.1.114
Modify Battlefield3 can not play issue. (I don't play games)

HDD -- SATA RAID Driver - (Don't think I need as I don't plan to run a RAID setup)
(For system to read from floppy diskette during Windows installation)

HDD -- ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:1.3.1

HDD -- Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver ver:11.2.0.1006

USB -- Intel USB 3.0 driver ver:1.0.4.220

VGA -- VGA driver ver:15.26.12.64.2761

UTILITIES
Other -- ASRock 3TB+ Unlocker Utility ver:1.0

AXTU -- ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility ver:0.1.251

Instant Boot -- Instant Boot ver:1.29

Intel -- Intel Rapid Start Utility ver:1.0.5
Please MUST install Intel Rapid Start Utility and create the hidden partition
first, then install the Intel Rapid Start driver. - (This is from website)

Intel -- Intel Smart Connect Utility ver:1.0.6

Other -- TruStudio ver:1.00.01

XFastLAN -- ASRock XFast LAN Utility ver:6.61.1880_WHQL

XFastUSB -- ASRock XFast USB Utility ver:3.02.30

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
In no particular order:

INF -- INF (chipset) driver ver:9.3.0.1019
Lan -- Realtek Lan driver ver:7048 (for an Ethernet connection)
Audio -- Realtek high definition audio driver ver:R2.66
Intel -- Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.3.1427
HDD -- ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:1.3.1 (so your 3rd party SATA headers will work)
HDD -- Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver ver:11.2.0.1006
USB -- Intel USB 3.0 driver ver:1.0.4.220
VGA -- VGA driver ver:15.26.12.64.2761 (so the on-board video will have the latest driver)

Windows will install generic drivers to allow you to use the video, sound, drives. But these are all I see that I would bother with.

The Utilities are a personal choice. I usually never install any.

JJ1217

Honorable

I have an Asrock board, and the disk comes with so much crap that is unnecessary and makes your computer start up very slowly. You don't need the utilities, they are next to useless in my opinion. I accidentally installed everything when I first started it up, and boy did so many startup applications popup.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

I was under the impression that it is best to download from the ASRock site as that will have the latest drivers/utilities which might supersede the ones on the disc.

not really. motherboard drivers don't come out that often ( like video drivers ) you don't update the BIOS unless you have specific needs that a new one will provide most of the time.

guy above. only an idiot would install all the bloatware off the disc. if somebody is too stupid to look and see what they actually need and just point and click that's there problem. bet you have 34 search bars in your browser don't you ?

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

I'll probably do a modest OC on the i5 3570K. Not having OC'd before I was thinking maybe the ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility might be of value.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks for the info. So you think there is no need to worry about the sequence of installing the drivers you have listed?

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

No disrespect meant but I don't understand you at all. I HAD planned on installing the LAN driver. Are you saying that even if I install that driver I still won't be able to connect to the Internet? The other two builds I've done worked absolutely fine connecting to the Internet after installing LAN drivers.

All of drivers and utilities I listed in my OP are what is available for this motherboard. I pretty much planned on installing all the ones that clutchc mentioned in his post. Since this is my first time using an ASRock board I thought there might be someone here who has or is using an ASRock MB who might have some recommendations whether any other of the drivers, other than the obvious ones, need to be installed. That is why I posted to this ASRock forum.

for crying out loud.......... install the LAN driver okay ? oh wait a minute........ LAN/Network........ uh ??????

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Not really. I always install the LAN driver first so I can download the latest Windows Updates ( And get Win7 activated) and my favorite Virus/Malware pgm. That way I know I'm safe(r) while I download other stuff. Then the chip set drivers next. But ithe order doesn't matter all that much. Like I say, Win7 will have your PC ready to run with its built-in drivers.

And yes, LAN driver is the internet driver... for Ethernet. If you are going to rely on a wireless network, you'll need to install the wireless driver from your adapter. Although, sometimes Windows will identify it and load a generic. I haven't had much luck that way though. Always had to load the manufacturer's driver.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks for the clarification. Pretty much what I thought but wanted to be sure as this is my first time using a ASRock board and I'm also fairly new at this system building thing (3rd build) so I didn't want to screw things up.

I didn't word my OP very well at all. I should have noted that of all the drivers listed I knew to do the chipset, audio, LAN (Internet), VGA, etc. (like you had listed in your 1st reply). Just was hoping that someone here is using this particular MB and could make some recommendation.

I do appreciate all that took the time to reply.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The first thing you'll probably want to do before installing Windows, is enter BIOS and set your SATA mode to AHCI instead of IDE. Not totally necessary, but AHCI is newer and suppose to be better. I can't tell any difference, but I always do that. Because once you install the O/S to your drive in IDE mode, your O/S won't boot if you decide to later change it to AHCI mode.

If you're going to install the O/S to a SSD, check out this tutorial. It might save you from certain pitfalls that are different from installing to a HDD.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
Be sure to open the links in his post to get to the 'goodies'.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Thanks for the info. The way I plan on doing this is I am mounting the regular HD in the case but NOT connecting either the SATA data or the PSU power cables to it until after I have Windows 7 installed and running on the SSD. I will then shut down, attach the above cables to the regular HD, start up and initialize the regular HD in Windows 7 Disk Management. I will then make my Programs, Data and Programs partitions on the HD.

What would you suggest I specifically check in the BIOS? I plan on setting SATA mode to AHCI prior to installing Windows 7. Anything else I should do there prior to OS install or afterwards? Appreciate any tips.

I have a whole slew of articles and tutorials on optimizing Win 7 for use with an SSD (turning off System Restore, Hibernation, etc) and on optimizing the SSD itself which I plan to do right after I have Win 7 fully functional and updated (After I have the Network driver installed, of course :))

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I too had alot of tutorials and links to instructions. But the one I linked you too ended up being my favorite. Nevertheless, it sounds like you have a pretty good plan laid out. Those are some of the pitfalls covered...

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Great link! A lot of the ones I had had either SSD optimization or Win 7 optimization. Your link had both combined in the same place. Appreciate it.

highcountryrider

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008

Great, thanks for the help. Assembling the build as I write this. Everything is going OK but man is the Silverstone TJ08B-E case tight to work once the MB is installed. Wish I had a kid's hands, without the chocolate and licorice mess of course! I think it'll be all worth it in the end as I really like the smaller cases and this build should have everything I need for the foreseeable future. Next, upgrade to Windows 8 -- going to wait awhile on that!