Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Choosing a PSU

Last response: in Components
December 27, 2011 3:10:44 PM

Hello everybody.

I was wondering if this psu is good enough for this computer build.

http://www.amazon.com/HIGH-POWER%C2%AE-SI-A400M2-400-Wa...

My computer specs are:

Motherboard: ECS MCP73VT-PM
Graphics Card: Zotac GTS 450
RAM: 1 GB DDR2 & 2 GB DDR2
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Hard Drive: 7200 RPM 3.5"
Optical Drive: DVD-RW
Sound: Integrated on Motherboard

More about : choosing psu

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2011 4:50:37 PM

That psu isn't even certified. I wouldn't use it to power my keyboard.

Not only that, but it's not even a standard atx power supply, so it will not fit a standard atx case.

What case do you have?

Are you aware that your not running your memory in dual channel mode? That hurts performance a bit.
Score
Related resources
December 27, 2011 5:04:47 PM

Thanks for the reply, but my computer case is very restrictive. I also forgot to mention that I need a mATX psu. The power supply has to have a fan on the side of the power plug. Also, it can't have an on/off switch on the back. Do you have any more suggestions?
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2011 5:13:43 PM

Okay as long as you know that many m-atx cases take standard atx power supplies, not m-atx power supplies. I'm not saying yours does I'm just hoping you know that.

If that psu fit's your case then it'll work fine.

Score
December 27, 2011 5:26:54 PM

That is some good info Geek. So just to make sure (since I am completely new to building computers), it would be enough to power all components of the computer?
Score
December 27, 2011 5:35:38 PM

anything around 400W is enough for that build, provided you dont want to upgrade anytime soon.

but for heaven's sake, do NOT buy that PSU, get a Corsair or an Antec, maybe an OCZ or an XFX... just get something certified as more often than not an uncertified PSU can, at best, leave you stranded or, at worst, kill your build, without prior notice.
Score
December 27, 2011 5:40:34 PM

Ok. I will try to look for PSUs of those brands that fit my case. I know that certified PSUs have better efficiency but my case is the most restrictive part.
Score
a c 1175 ) Power supply
a c 218 V Motherboard
December 27, 2011 5:52:14 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTS 450 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 22 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

The HIGH POWER SI-A400M2, that you've linked to, has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 15 Amps (i.e. HIGH POWER states: +12V1 & 12V2 combined output should not exceed 180W) and with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is too under powered for a system using that graphics card.

What is the make and model of your case? If the case is from a consumer desktop unit (e.g. Acer, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, HP, Sony, etc.) then provide its make and model number.
Score
December 27, 2011 5:55:41 PM

Yeah, I'm trying to upgrade somethings on an Emachines ET1831-05.
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2011 6:06:54 PM

From looking at the pictures it appears to be a standard atx power supply. I'm just looking at the pictures though, I could be wrong.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

If that's the case I would suggest this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?&Item=N82E16...

$40 - $10 rebate = $30 plus free $15 gift card = $15

80+ certified with a 3yr warranty and 28a on the +12v rail

a c 1175 ) Power supply
a c 218 V Motherboard
December 27, 2011 6:08:21 PM

balloon8 said:
Yeah, I'm trying to upgrade somethings on an Emachines ET1831-05.

Judging by the pictures of the eMachines ET1831-05 Desktop PC it's definitely a standard ATX12V form factor power supply unit.

What is your power supply budget?

Score
December 27, 2011 6:13:52 PM

I'd like it to be below $150. But, I am willing to spend more for a good quality psu.
Score
a c 1175 ) Power supply
a c 218 V Motherboard
December 27, 2011 6:42:11 PM

balloon8 said:
I'd like it to be below $150. But, I am willing to spend more for a good quality psu.

No need to spend that much.

Any of the following top tier PSU manufacturers' models will work as they all meet the electrical and connector requirements for running a system with a single GeForce GTS 450:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=P...
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2011 6:53:32 PM

Did you see the Corsair I linked above for $15??
Score
December 27, 2011 6:59:31 PM

Thanks so much everybody. I just realized that when I take out the power supply, there would be a hole at the back of the PC. I thought the power supply metal was part of the case lol herp derp. One last question, both Geek and Ko888 have presented me with power supplies that have a fan on the top. I can't see a possible way to install that. Could you both enlighten me on how that is possible?

Edit: Yes Geek I did.
Score
a c 1175 ) Power supply
a c 218 V Motherboard
December 27, 2011 7:10:15 PM

I presented you with a big list of power supplies. In that list is two fanless power supplies made by Seasonic if you really want to spend that kind of money.

There are also power supplies in that list that don't have a big intake fan on the top.

Actually any of them will work. When you mount the power supplies that have a big intake fan on the top the fan will actually be facing downward toward the inside of the case.

Choose one that meets your requirements and budget.
Score
December 27, 2011 7:23:44 PM

Thanks everybody for your help. You made this process a whole lot easier. I'm going to follow Geek and get that Corsair psu. Peace!
Score
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
December 27, 2011 10:52:21 PM

Your going to install the psu with the fan facing down so it can suck warm air out of the computer.
Score
January 6, 2012 11:19:27 PM

Best answer selected by balloon8.
Score
!