Pc will not turn on, I think fan connectors are broken.

TheRealChizz

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
http://imgur.com/fLWr0
I tried connecting this to all the fan connecters on my motherboard ( ASRockH77m). What was curious though is that I connected this to the bottom row of a USB8_9, black and the computer worked perfectly for a minute or two. But it shut down and now my windows 7 cd is inside my optical drive. Now when I try turn it on with the same set up, the fans spin a bit and stop.
Edit: so the cable is a cable with several female molex on its side and a 4 pin. at the end of it. Which u see in the pic. The other side is connected to the psu.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Disconnect that from the motherboard. You just applied +12V and +5v to places you weren't suppose to. Not to mention grounding out whichever pins plugged into the gnd points on the plug. If the board was able to shut down and recover, you may have been lucky. Unplug all wires/cables from the board except the 24 pin motherboard connector and the 4/8 pin CPU power connector. You may leave the 2 wires from the case's power button connected. Try to start the system. If you can boot to BIOS, you may have dodged the bullet.

You really shouldn't be connecting wires and cables to the system if you don't know where they go. That is what to motherboard manual, PSU manual is for. To show you.

As far as the cable to make your fans reach the motherboard's SYS FAN headers, you will need an extension cable. If the fans are 3 wire you will need one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100016762%20600020264&IsNodeId=1&Description=3%20Pin%20Fan%20Extension%20Cable&name=Fan%20Power%20Cables&Order=BESTMATCH
They come in different lengths.

TheRealChizz

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Sadly, I did not dodge the bullet and now my mobo is dead. Gawd, I f******g hate myself :cry: I'm planning to RMA it. Is the CPU fine? Also, I fear i broke my video card because i put it in the motherboard to forcefully, and i repeatedly touched the back side of it. Thank you for your help and i plan to consult with a friend who builds comps for a living. Also, should i get a motherboard speaker?

TheRealChizz

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012

Also, could you recommend a YouTube video?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Touching the backside of you card shouldn't hurt it. And you'd have to be a real brute to use too much force on the card to damage it inserting it in the slot. In fact, you'd probably hurt the slot before you'd hurt the card.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Sometimes the most costly mistakes are the ones we learn the most from.

What kind of you tube video are you looking for?