No graphics memory and standby is grayed out, i suspect the motherboard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2011 12:10:51 PM

Hi guys,
recenly bought this old pc just for backup, its runs
pentium 4 HT
1GB ram
Windows xp pro
and the motherboard is a ' GA-8I945GMF' heres a link http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

so basically i got a few really old games which i new wouldnt require much power because i dont have a dedicated graphics card, i just use the mobos built in graphics, e.g. xmen legends 2 and age of mytholog. once i installled the games and tried to run them they giveme messages like 'hardware acceleration is not supported by your graphics card' and 'Video Card 0 doesn't have device id or vendor id, and <vga.dll> isn't in look-up file'

i read up about these problems and i tried the DXDIAG command that showed me that i have no display device at all... which i thought was wierd, my device has no graphics memory at all which is probably why the games dont work and i got the notes
'The file vga.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.
The system is using the generic video driver. Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
To test DirectDraw functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer.'

secondly, i noticed the standby option is also grayed off, and when i read about that it was also attributed to faulty display drivers, so i guessed i had an issue...

any clues on how to sort this out guys?

p.s. i download and istalled all drivers from that website to no avail
July 26, 2011 12:48:25 PM

what version is ur directx? you might find u need an older directx version to be able to play an older game
July 26, 2011 9:23:16 PM

apparently directX9.0c
but how do i roll this back?
i thought they were backwards compatible
Related resources
July 27, 2011 7:47:17 AM

well you just have to install one that comes with ur games, and see if it helps. older versions might be found using google. installing an older version overwrites the new one generally.
July 28, 2011 5:59:16 PM

i think i did, but ill do it again just to make sure
July 30, 2011 7:01:25 PM

no difference :/ 
July 31, 2011 10:29:56 AM

well i cant think of anything else than the drivers and directx, maybe someone else can enlighten us
July 31, 2011 10:37:08 AM

ahh the drivers, install old drivers for your graphics cards from 2007, you might need to completely remove te new ones first.
August 1, 2011 12:38:13 PM

how do you mean, i dont have a video card its just inbuilt graphics.

does the greyed out standby mode have anything to do with it?
August 2, 2011 10:46:24 AM

you cant not have a graphics card, if its built in its still a graphics card. install the old drivers from intel website.
August 4, 2011 4:47:07 PM

does anybody have a link for those
!