iCobalt

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Can anyone answer this?
I am going to be gaming/ photoshop/ facebooking/ youtubing/ Video editing/ Music streaming Ect.

I think that the 2600k would be the better pick because it is cheaper, and it is more Overclockable.
Please tell me if i am wrong

Solution

You are correct it mostly has to do with intel's sandy bridge being a lot faster even with a 2600k. Z68 MB seems to have a lot a good options. That should do everything you need and more, I wouldn't go with an older socket. Don't quote me on this, it has been a while since I studied on any benchmarks but if I remember correctly the 2600k blows the doors off the 970 when it comes to overclocking. And a 2500k wins in almost all game benchmarks compared to 970

makah21

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

You are correct it mostly has to do with intel's sandy bridge being a lot faster even with a 2600k. Z68 MB seems to have a lot a good options. That should do everything you need and more, I wouldn't go with an older socket. Don't quote me on this, it has been a while since I studied on any benchmarks but if I remember correctly the 2600k blows the doors off the 970 when it comes to overclocking. And a 2500k wins in almost all game benchmarks compared to 970

Solution
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/processor-architecture-benchmark,2974-15.html

According to this article SB is only 10% faster clock for clock and even though SB can overclock higher, the 2600k is 4c/8t vs the 970 6c/12t. So the 970 still beats it in multithreaded optimized programs such as rendering/video editing. But the price increase is pretty big vs the performance increase so isn't worth it and with the soon to be released socket 2011 SBE that is replacing it, it would be a bad buy.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/157?vs=287

iCobalt

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

More like half a Year... I think ill just Buy the 2600k and then upgrade to whatever comes out after Ivybridge...because something new will always be coming out

For what you are doing the 2600K is an excellent choice if you want to build right now. Waiting....yeah, well if we all kept waiting on something better, we would never upgrade! There will always be something better right around the corner, and then you get to be the guinea pig and deal with all the bugs of new release hardware...besides paying a premium for it.

iCobalt

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

Agreed

makah21

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

True that, But he explained it, he is playing games and the SB dominates. Not just some games most all games! It even gives the Six-core the stiff arm in some gaming applications. So yes he could buy the 970 for more money and get less in his situation. Out with old and in with the new if your starting over.